Author Topic: Brake drum forge, am I heading in the right direction?  (Read 7627 times)

Offline mhof86

Brake drum forge, am I heading in the right direction?
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:58:31 am »
Hello everyone,

Figured I would throw this up here and see what everyone else is doing. Over the past few months I have been looking at brake drum forges online and doing some reading, well with that information floating around in my brain I decided to get hands on this past weekend. This is what I came up with.

First off it isn't complete. I don't have an air supply hooked up under yet. My plan for that is an air mattress pump mounted up under, and running the switch to the outside as a semi permanent set up. 

Forge is built out out of an old brake drum and the pipe is 1" going down to the (soon to be) air pump. Didn't use any galvanized except for the bolts that were used to secure the sheet metal that the pipe comes up through in the center.

The frame was made out of a piece of maple from the wood pile, split and cut to size with the trusty wedge, hammer, and hatchet. Anyhow let me know what you guys think as I am planning on firing this thing up in a couple days considering nobody spots a fatal flaw in my set up :)

Couple questions:
1. Most of the builds tell you to line the drum with an insulating material (lots of different stuff used for this) but I have also read some that don't use this. Since this was built with stuff just sitting around the shop I didn't line it. Will this be an issue?

2. The maple frame that I set it in... with that much heat being produced will the wood catch fire? I have seen some of these that were framed out of 2x4 to support the forge. Again this is the first time for me ever trying something like this. Will I be OK or do I need to look at a different support system for the forge?

3. The galvanized bolts that are used to secure the sheet metal in the center of the drum, should I be worried about the fumes? This will only be used outdoors so shouldn't have any build up of fumes or anything but figured I would ask.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Brake drum forge, am I heading in the right direction?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 11:00:48 am »
The burner part looks good to me(uneducated) but the wood platform seems impractical(again uneducated).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:34:28 am »
The galvanized layer will burn off pretty quick so it shouldnt be a problem.  The metal bottom may not last long it all depends on the thickness of it.  Lining the forge woyld help it hold the heat better, but the more liner you put in, the smaller the piece you will be able to work.   The wood frame is nice.  But that drum will get really hot.  Im.afraid its going to catch fire.  Im not familiar with the air pumps so i cant say much on the air.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:34:51 am »
Looking good to me, I thought the same thing Pat B but Jeff the new guy in the club just built one and it is on a wood table, works fine, the bottom you can touch with your had.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mhof86

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:49:52 am »
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Pappy the one you guys have, is that lined or not? I am wondering if lining might also help to keep the heat up in the forge instead of bbq'ing my frame.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:26:06 pm »
May want to line the bottom with fire clay, that would helo the bottom last longer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 02:27:42 pm »
U can mix plaster and sand to insulate it, look up a coffee can forge. Use the same stuff to line that. That's basically my exact plan minus the wood, I was gonna just bolt on legs the insulate right over the bolt.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline wildman

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:02:17 pm »
I have the same setup supported away from the wooden table that has vices and anvil on it. I ran two pieces of 2'' angle under the drum giving me a foot of distance from the table.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline mhof86

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:57:06 pm »
Had a 20 minute trial run today. Went pretty well, I didn't have any coal so I just threw in some charcoal and got that going. After about 5 minutes I kicked on the air and heard that neat little sound of forced air into a fire for the first time :) :) :)

Tossed in a spike and after about 15 minutes pulled it out glowing bright red. Now I need to get my hands on an anvil and I will be waking up the neighbors in no time :)

Plans are a couple pairs of tongs for first projects. Anyone out there have some fun beginner projects that would help me get acquainted with the basics? 

Offline nlester

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:20 pm »
I've seen guys use old train rails as an anvil.  Just a thought.  I've got some brand new railroad spikes I'd send you if you'd make me a couple of "hawks" out of them. 

Offline mhof86

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 12:48:44 pm »
nlester, that is on my future project list for sure but it is off in the distance. I live right near some tracks and have a decent pile accumulated as well. If I can get the process down I would have no problem making you a couple. First I need to make the tools required for that though.

I have an uncle that works at the railroad as well and he has a section of rail just sitting waiting for me to come pick up. That along with a drive down to OH to get some coal are on the agenda for this weekend.

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 11:07:37 am »
 ;) most farrier stores carry coal. theres a book i just recently got called the complete bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas its a good read for the beginer and the advanced blacksmith. Have one of his blades, a short sword my wife owns. Very fine work. as for the rail anvil will work for some things but will still need to be hardened and annealed and shaped depending on how large of blades you want to work. I up till recently have been forging primitive blades in my wood stove in shop works ok but still need torch to temper... not enough air flow in fire. just recently started a build on sword size forge will post some pics when i get a chance. I have found the brake drum forge to be ok for small stuff but its hard to get larger stuff like ax heads and so on in the fire enough to heat evenly. Just me experiences so far take it with a grian on salt as i am still new at blacksmithing.

Katt >:D
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 11:22:38 am »
I use an oven for tempering, 400° for an hour, three separate times.   Gets it just right, an even straw color throughout.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 11:33:27 am »
A toaster oven works well and u can pick up a cheap one. The wifey may kill ya if ya don't get all the oil off
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 01:14:00 pm »
A toaster oven works well and u can pick up a cheap one. The wifey may kill ya if ya don't get all the oil off
That's a good idea.  Yea I fired up the oven when my wife left one time.  Didn't get all the oil off of my new blade and the house smelled like a Pennzoil refinery for a few days! Needless to say, she found out what I had been up to.