Author Topic: Hirnbeam stave.  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Enharrington

Hirnbeam stave.
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:26:01 pm »
I have not posted in the bow forum before so I figure I'll start with the stave I plan on working on whenever I get free time which is not very often anymore.  This is an American hornbeam I cut in late July and trimmed down to the size it is now right after cutting.  I plan on making it an inch and a half the whole length until ten inches from the tips to half inch tips.  I want a simple d bow.  This stave has some slight snakes in it.  What do you guys think.  Any advice on this wood.  Hornbeam is the wood I had in mind when I first wanted to make a bow.  I've always thought it was an awesome wood
"I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear"-doc holiday

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Hirnbeam stave.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 04:28:45 pm »
Nice stave man, have at er

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:45:12 pm »
American isn't nearly the bow wood Hop is. Id suggest budging your width out another 1/2". Keep it long.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Enharrington

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:50:49 pm »
Could I still keep it a d bow design or would 2 inches at the arrow pass be too wide

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:53 pm »
You can still narrow the grip a  1/2"-3/8" and make it bend all the same, just keep some depth to compensate. Wood is generally 8x stronger in depth vs width.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:24 pm »
I never heard of a hirnbeam tree?....... ;)

Good to see a new guy posting. Looks like a nice stave. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:33:42 am »
What's your intended draw weight and draw length? I'd say 1 1/2" wide is plenty wide for a bend in the handle bow if its over 60" long and for most average hunting weights and draw lengths

Offline Enharrington

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 02:11:04 pm »
I am shooting for 50-55 pounds.  28 inch draw.  The stave is 65 inches