Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

First shot at horn bow, need some input.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Badger:
   I have a set of horns and sinew I have been meaning to start on. My first attempt several years ago failed miserably.

Parnell:
My 2 cents...I tried starting with the sinew on horn American designs.  I don't know that I'm throwing in the towel...but, after having got a hold of the Karpowicz book and studying it, I feel like I have a better chance of actually making it through the process.

duke3192:
Sled, try googling/ getting laminations from gemsbok horn, and also, constructing the asiatic composite bow, sorry I can't post links for you.

loefflerchuck:
After making many horn bows I still reread Adams book on many steps along the way to dot my i's. Simple things like leaving my bow in a shop thats too cold have caused the glue in my splices to fail. Do everything the right way and don't take any shortcuts

mikekeswick:
I'd stay away from the 'constructing the asiatic composite bow' route. That basically just skims the surface.
I agree with what has been said above. Without a good idea in your head of the process (before starting) you aren't exactly wasting your time but you're close.
Trying to learn how to make a hornbow through trial,error and google won't get you very far in my opinion. Google doesn't know everything......and trial and error will be painfully slow. Get Adam's book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version