Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

First shot at horn bow, need some input.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Badger:
  Adams book is a good investment. Trial error with horn bows could take an awful long time as each bow takes a long time. You can trial and error all you want with wood board bows and really not waste much time.

ravancroft:
The Bowyers Bible has some pretty good information on composite shooting and building, also there is a series of videos on youtube that was made in the 1990s named: How to Construct the Asiatic Bow - Part 1-8 - DIY BOW MAKING. GOOD LUCK!! I'm actually just about to make my first as well. I am starting with buffalo horn, a hickory wood core and sinew back, from what i have come to know that is the best form of composite.

duke3192:
Everybody! says get Adams book! you can't get it, which one of you wants to loan yours out. You get info wherever you can and use it and learn.

mikekeswick:
They probably say it for a reason then!! There are so many fine details that nobody is going to spend a long,long time writing it all in an internet forum. If you don't get everything dead right with these bows then you are destined to fail. Once you've made a few all this becomes apparent.
The internet is great for learning the basic idea but for the fine details....no.

ravancroft:
though beeing able to actually see the process as you read about it really does help and that's where watching the videos comes in, i started off a broke kid with no way of getting lessons and did not know any bowyers, i had no possible way of learning but through the internet until my set of bowyers bible's came in. watching as you read on in the books helped me a lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version