Author Topic: Hawthorn Bow  (Read 26863 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Hawthorn Bow
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:34:52 pm »
I don't make a lot of character bows but I cut this Hawthorn several years ago and a few months ago I saw the stave sitting in there with my "good" staves all crooked so I figured it was time to either make a bow with it or use it for firewood. I decided to go for a bow. Here is what I made.

The bow is 64" long and because Hawthorne does not grow big up here is only 1 1/4" wide. The wood is strong and this rather small "tree" made a bow that pulls 50# @ 28". I was quite surprised at how strong and elastic this wood is. If it grew to a bigger size it would be a wood I would be actively harvesting. Here's a few pictures

Unfortunately my full draw has a few inches missing from the top. You can see from the braced belly picture that the limbs do a bit of twisting but the string bisects the handle.

I brought this bow with me on a trip North a few weeks ago thinking I would have time to do some work on it. The bow was tillered but it still needed some sanding. In a restaurant in one town we came across a couple of guys that had an interest in archery and one guy in particular had used traditional bows in the past. I let him hold the braced bow, which was a mistake as he immediately drew the bow back to full draw and held it there for nearly a minute. I didn't say anything but when he did it again I cautioned him that holding a wood bow at full draw like that was not good for it. When I unbraced the bow I was pleased to see that the experience did not have any adverse effect to it. It had not lost any reflex and still had good string tension. If you have access to Hawthorn then I would suggest you try it
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:20:04 pm by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Hawthorne Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:41:13 pm »
That is a great looking bow Marc.  That unbraced profile would scare me away.  ;) How does it shoot?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:43:49 pm »
>>drew the bow back to full draw and held it there for nearly a minute<<

Why do people do that? I've had that happen and it scared me to death! ???

Great bow.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 07:45:46 pm by Lost Arra »

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 07:47:58 pm »
looks great, excellent character.   your much more patient than i am, i woulda been jumping up and down til he let off of her.  - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 07:59:12 pm »
nice looking bow.  the unbraced profile makes me want to break out the heat gun.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:16:05 pm »
Looks great. Well done, Marc. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 08:26:27 pm »
Interesting bow Marc, everything from the shape of the handle, one limb more reflexed than the other,
and not to mention the offset limbs all say master bowyer. Very Nice
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 08:30:58 pm »
  It looks really good ,Marc.I think I'd break out the heat gun too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:32:52 pm »
for those who don't know it Marc is fairly low-key ( meaning that he doesn't seem to get upset or tense very easily ).
...though I can see him making a "snappy"  ;) remark had the bow broken and smacked the guy on the head.

cool bow Marc!!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 09:06:16 pm »
Very nice. I am pretty sure I have seen a lot of hawthorn around. It has long thorns right?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 09:11:27 pm »
Cool bow Marc! I wouldn't know Hawthorne from any other wood I've never seen before but looks like It'll do the job :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Dingleberry

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 09:16:58 pm »
Great bow and well tillered.  I especially like the handle. :)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 09:34:37 pm »
Marc you managed to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I looked up what the leaves looked like and found this:  "In Irish folklore the hawthorn, or whitethorn, is also sometimes referred to as the fairy bush, and it was considered bad luck to cut it in fear of offending the fairies that inhabit the tree."

Now you've done it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Jbell

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 09:41:26 pm »
 I really like how you left it natural Marc, nice job. My brother-in-law once pulled a bamboo backed hickory that I made back to his ear and held forever. Needless to say it took a lot of set. >:(
Justin Blunt

tradrick

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 09:59:17 pm »
Great looking bow Marc.Love those character bows.tradrick