Author Topic: Keeping the bark on OS  (Read 2023 times)

Offline DC

Keeping the bark on OS
« on: February 05, 2015, 03:53:03 pm »
Does steaming a stave have any effect on keeping the bark on Ocean Spray? Am I safer to scrape off the dark outer bark? I'm not sure I would be impressed by just the inner bark, but if it's that or have big flakes pop off I may be turned. I know I'm supposed to collect it in mid-winter but I've forgotten when this was collected. I'm keeping the bow long,71" so far, to keep the radius as large as possible. Any other hints? Wizardgoat, did Mr. Strunk give you any secrets :D.

Offline Accipiter

Re: Keeping the bark on OS
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 04:50:16 pm »
I think you do have to get most of the dark stuff off, at least thats the only way I've been able to get any bark to stay. Ive steamed OS and heat treated with the full bark on, no issues there. But I'd make sure to then sand it down quite a bit and to quite a fine grit before I ever bent the bow more than floor tiller. My best OS bow so far was from a stave harvested in June, so timing doesnt seem crucial. Anyhow, thats just my $.02.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 08:22:22 pm »
I've never had much luck keeping my bark on ocean spray, I believe the only way is to cut them on a below freezing day in the dead of winter, which never really happens here!
The inner bark I think looks pretty sweet, but it too will come off. I have one bow where it all popped off except on the handle and the tips. Looks pretty cool.
Haven't done much heat on OS, but I gotta think the steam surely wouldn't help in keeping bark on

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:38:43 pm »
Mine popped off at short brace. It was alot of scraping to remove it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:42:10 pm »
Not sure.  I know Bryce has said that heat will cause it to come off.  I debark all my staves.  I would just go for your heat correction and see what happens.  I would think you should know within a week, or a day.  If it pops off, or wrinkles up, or whatever, then take it all off, since you are considering that anyway.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 02:43:42 am »
It will come off eventually. Maybe take a year or two, but it will crack here and there. Not worth it to me. Last thing I want in a bow are unexpected cracking sounds.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 02:04:29 pm »
It will come off eventually. Maybe take a year or two, but it will crack here and there. Not worth it to me. Last thing I want in a bow are unexpected cracking sounds.

Good point! I never really considered a year or so down the road. Ah, it probably won't make it past tillering anyway.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 04:15:31 am »
I take it off as well. The only OS bow that I left the bark on was my son's  bow and it seems to be holding together so far for the last couple of years. But like Steve and Carson said, better to take it off.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:01 pm »
I just want to do it once. I take the bark off most of my OS staves. I've just kept a few bark on aside. It originally seemed to be a challenge but I'm beginning to think there's a lot of  luck involved. With all the heat treating I've had to do on this one I will be very surprised if it stays. It was a very straight stave, just a slight string misalignment, but it just refuses to stay put. I'll get it :)