Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Del Tries for a Hazel Flight Bow

<< < (2/5) > >>

Del the cat:
Woo.. just finished my flight arrow with shiny brass point 152.3gn WHOOPS TYPO it was 252.3 gn :-[.
196.1 fps

I gotta fess up, the arrow is actually 28" to the tip, but I don't think I fully drew it, trying not to over stress the bow.
I'm well chuffed with that :laugh:
Del

avcase:
Del,
It must feel good to have your favorite flight arrow back in action again. When you make the point, do you make it so it fits over the end of the arrow, or do you create a tang that fits into a hole drilled into the end of the arrow shaft?

That's a nice bow too. Did you really add an extra lamination so the bow will fit the string?  Ha! You must really dislike making strings!

Alan

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: avcase on February 07, 2015, 05:21:53 pm ---Del,
It must feel good to have your favorite flight arrow back in action again. When you make the point, do you make it so it fits over the end of the arrow, or do you create a tang that fits into a hole drilled into the end of the arrow shaft?

That's a nice bow too. Did you really add an extra lamination so the bow will fit the string?  Ha! You must really dislike making strings!

Alan

--- End quote ---
I turned a litte stub about 4.5mm diameter and similar length on to the end of the arrow shaft. The brass has a 4.5 mm hole drilled in the end to glue onto the stub. The hard bit is holding the tiny arrow head in the lathe chuck.
The extra lamination is just the remnant of the temporary nock overlay. Rather than rasping it all aoff and gluing on the horn, I left a layer which gave me a little extra wood to play with.
I don't mind making strings too much, but I hate the waste, and I have bunches of strings hanging up... but never one the right size (ok... well sometimes I find one the right size ;D)
Del

Peacebow_Coos:
I don't know squat about flight bows or speed, but that's a pretty piece of work Del

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: Peacebow_Coos on February 08, 2015, 04:08:03 am ---I don't know squat about flight bows or speed, but that's a pretty piece of work Del

--- End quote ---
Cheers.
Just tried it for distance, only managed 193 yards. The laser rangefinder worked well by standing by the arrow and sighting back to a piece of thin steel plate (off the back of an old electric oven) which I'd propped up on the shooting line.
Del

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version