Author Topic: Straightening Jig?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Chief RID

Straightening Jig?
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:47:29 pm »
I am what I call spacially challenged. I have a hard time looking at something and being able to build or reproduce it. I have been searching and observing bowyers benches and shaving horses and all the different cauls and such for bow and stave holding and straightening and I am still confused. I use a workmate and a small vice to do my work but I would like to make up a board type tool to clamp and manipulate staves and bows.

Is there a thread that provides a pattern or build along for this type of device?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Straightening Jig?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:19:39 pm »
There are for shave horses, not exactly what I think you are looking for, but invaluable once you do have one.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline osage outlaw

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:14:14 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Comancheria

Re: Straightening Jig?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:48:59 pm »
I THINK this is OK to mention on this site: the video "Rattlestick" by Gary Davis has a section on cauls and bending.  He doesn't actually explain how to build one but I am challenged in the same way you mention--and it was very enlightening watching him in his room full of cauls explaining how to use one.

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!