Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Measuring distances

<< < (2/6) > >>

Badger:
  I would like to try and get it within 12" accuracy if anyway possible and easily understandable.

Jules:
We mostly use rangefinders  :)

avcase:
I plan to lay out pairs of stakes parallel to the shooting line at 50 yard intervals, with bright fluorescent twine stretched between them.  Each line will be clearly labeled 50, 100, 150, 200,etc.  I have an old surveyors transit I can use to ensure the yardage lines are square to the shooting line. The stakes will form a landing area grid 50 yards wide.  I probably won't have to go past 500 yards if I keep it to primitive and modern non-flight bows. Arrows can be quickly measured within an inch or two of the nearest yardage line by using a steel surveyors tape. Layout of the yardage lines and measurement of the distances should go pretty fast with 2-3 people and a pair of radios.

Alan

Badger:
  I like that Allen, an old transit can be purched very cheaply.

JackCrafty:
Surveyor's ropes are excellent for measuring distances.  They are made from fiberglass and will not stretch or expand very much due to weather/temp changes.  I saw one for about $63 on grainger.  100 meters.  That's what I'm going to use when I set up my range...  whenever that happens.   ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version