Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Measuring distances

(1/6) > >>

Badger:
   I am all ears in this one. Assuming many of the shoots might be very small affairs involving only a few shooters it may not be practical to rent expensive surveying equipment. One method I was considering was laying out a center line at 90 degrees to the shooting line using a 100 yard tape measure with distance markers at the stakes. One person could carry a squared site down the center line while another individual would hold a flag at any arrow to be measured. by placing the square on the center line and sighting out to the flag pole we should be able to maintain accuracy of about 1 foot at 50 yards from center line. This method would automaticaly triangulate the shots with no calcualtions. Suggestions here are welcome as this will be a major issue.

adb:
Laser range finder? We used 2 for our warbow shoots. They claim to be very accurate.

Badger:
  That is the ideal way, instead of triangulating the shots just use an out of bounds. I have one bit it seems to be unreliable. Mine was about $200.00. It does pretty well out to about 300 yards and then it becomes iffy.

Del the cat:
I haven't tried my new laser rangefinder in earnest yet, but I've just finished my 35# Hazel flight bow and got some promising result (a couple at 165fps, one at 170!). I'll post here tomorrow, but it's on the blog if anyone can't wait.
I'm hoping to shoot it for distance on Sunday. I aim to take a sheet of steel plate from the back of an old cooker to leave upright on the shooting line, as a laser target. walk out to the arrow then measure back to the steel sheet.
I'll report back. Mind I've got the sniffles and it may be cold and I'm an old softy cat ::) so I may just curl up in the warm instead.
Del

Buckeye Guy:
I know a few surveyors so I think I can get the job done
Having said that made me think they use satellite technology, and there is a cell phone app that works the same way so as anyone played with it yet ?
Maybe the cheapest way going if it gives us the accuracy we settle on
I know the new farm equipment is ran off of it now and they claim good accuracy with it.
I will try to talk to my son about it he is in to all that stuff ( its his job to maintain the farm equipment for the tristate area )
Even so I think we should have a standard for hand measure like Steve opened us with just because it will allways give us a fall back plan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version