Author Topic: laminations with plain saw yew boards ?  (Read 1831 times)

Offline bow-noob

laminations with plain saw yew boards ?
« on: February 07, 2015, 01:00:31 am »
Hi, i have some yew boards, they are plain sawn, there is some clear areas but places with wavy grain and small pin knots. the boards around 1 inch by 8 inches, and about 5 feet long.

I am wondering if these could be sliced down into many 4-6 laminations to make staves with splices at handle I am wondering how thick the lams should be and if as your laminating if it is ok to be using plain sawn when your dong lams ?

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: laminations with plain saw yew boards ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 02:27:36 am »
Those would be great cut up into belly slats for backing with bamboo or hickory.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 02:32:58 am »
Plain sawn is fine. Cut into lams and then splice together. Then add backing.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 02:37:30 am »
Yes, 3/16 is what I would shoot for thick 3 to 4 thick,(depending on poundage) and maybe a power lam in there somewhere, I generally can get away from the power lam, but everything better be just right.....but how is the ring count?? That can determine your width along with poundage requirements. After glue up you should be able to tiller right through the lams as if they were growth rings. Pick the cleanist wood you have.

With a one inch thick board, you could also slice it in half and use it as a belly wood without all the lams, using maybe a contrasting core lam.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.