Author Topic: Perry reflex glue up . . . progress  (Read 12575 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Perry reflex glue up . . . progress
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 05:39:43 pm »
Thanks fellas.  The resources avail on this forum are top notch!
Rasped/sanded the backer away.  Process of doing that showed there was bit of a ridge running full length.
Also could see that bond was better at clamp locations, and visibly less good immediately next door.  And 20 clamps exhausts my inventory.   :(
Second try is now curing.
Made sure core back was flat.  Made sure new backing was flat.  Laid length of tin on top of backing.  Clamped handle area using large surface area clamping blocks with 3 clamps.  Used bicycle tubes to tightly wrap from tips to riser.

Now the hard part . . . . waiting!

Thanks, again.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:37:30 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bow101

Re: Perry reflex glue up . . . FAIL!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 07:12:55 pm »
I use tubes as well, work great and the glue does stick to the rubber.  I have used a long caul, cheap wood like pine 1 x 2.  full width and full length.  I did my very first bow like that and had no issues what so ever with glue lines and it was 5 lams of maple and oak one lam was tapered.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 04:31:23 pm »
  The moisture in the glue caused the wood to cup. I switched to inner tube wraps with maybe some additional clamping in fade areas if needed.

Beat me.  I switched to always using shims under each clamp OR innertubes.

Some woods, and hickory can be one, tho I didn't see what the backing was on yours.  Anyway, the glue side gets wet, the woood swells and "cups" side to side, and the edges lift.

I have a hickory- backed BL recurve sitting in my garage for4 years still, because it shoots so nicely, but the glue lines are so ugly I don't dare give it to anybody.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Perry reflex glue up & more . . . Progress
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 10:45:55 am »
Reflex glue-up seems to have been success.  Though was bit disappointed that limbs retained just 1 1/2" of reflex.
Anyway, decided to go for broke.   ::)
Found small piece of hickory laying in the shop. Cut it into rectangular 6 x 1 blocks. Glued them onto the tips. After glue cures will rasp/sand them into static glued-on recurve tips.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:21:38 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 06:33:07 pm »
Looking good - way to persevere! Keep us updated.
->>>--------->
   John 14:6

Offline GB

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 06:55:06 pm »
Looking good, for sure.  I had an odd thing happen with the elm backed erc I made.  Initially it only held half of the reflex I glued in, too.  I'd kept it pretty thick at the fades, and as I tillered it at the handle fades, it gained reflex.  I haven't made enough Perry reflexed bows to tell if that's common to all of 'em or if it's just from the elasticity of erc.  It wound up springing back all the way back to 3 inches.  Maybe you'll have some of that spring back with the wood you're using.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 07:13:13 pm »
Pre tiller the belly so its basically floor tillered then glue it up and it will work better
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 10:10:17 pm »
I'd also like to add tip overlays ... something else not yet attempted.  Have hunk of rosewood.  While the "recurve" blocks are now shaped to width profile of limbs, top surface of them are still flat.  Is now the time to add overlays?  Anything to be aware of re gluing rosewood to hickory?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:40:48 pm by Knoll »

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 10:22:28 pm »
Not sure how well the first set of overlays are going to hold up.

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 10:23:30 pm »
Looking good, for sure.  I had an odd thing happen with the elm backed erc I made.  Initially it only held half of the reflex I glued in, too.  I'd kept it pretty thick at the fades, and as I tillered it at the handle fades, it gained reflex.  I haven't made enough Perry reflexed bows to tell if that's common to all of 'em or if it's just from the elasticity of erc.  It wound up springing back all the way back to 3 inches.  Maybe you'll have some of that spring back with the wood you're using.
That's very normal for bows glued up with forced reflex in thicker dimensions.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 11:44:40 pm »
If not sure then it's understandable not to be helpful on 2nd  . . . .

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 11:54:36 pm »
If not sure then it's understandable not to be helpful on 2nd  . . . .
Yes..

mikekeswick

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 02:50:43 am »
Also if u wanna use clamps I rip a piece of wood a little narrower than the backing, and cover it with painters tape for a pressure strip

+1
Just get the cheapest, lowest density junk pine eg. soft stuff for bamboo backing as they will bend to the shape of the boo.
Or use inner tubes.

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 02:58:05 am »
Also do two wraps per limb. One going from handle to tip, then tip back to handle. Making sure that the second wrap is opposite to the first - so the twisting forces even themselves out. If you just wrap one way then you can end up with twisted limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 01:47:56 pm »
Not sure how well the first set of overlays are going to hold up.

Why is that pat?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹