Author Topic: Wild cherry bark for backing  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Jax666

Wild cherry bark for backing
« on: February 07, 2015, 07:51:44 am »
When the weather breaks I have to cut a lot of brush in my fence row. Most is wild cherry. I know the wood is no good for sapling bows, but can the bark be used for backing? I have heard of cherry bark backing. Is there a trick to getting in off and prep?
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wild cherry bark for backing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:35:27 am »
Only certain types of cherry bark work as bow backing. Choke cherry is the only one I know of. Black cherry will not!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jax666

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 04:33:09 pm »
I think what I call a wild cherry is a choke cherry. I think the leaves looked more like the choke than the wild black. Is there a quick way to tell by looking at the bark?
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:06:16 pm »
Post a pic of the bark, please.  The wild cherry around here is black cherry (Prunus serotina).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jax666

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 06:03:13 pm »
I got to learn how to use photo bucket, but I will try.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:45:07 am »
Post a pic of the bark, please.  The wild cherry around here is black cherry (Prunus serotina).
It looks like I am right on the edge of the range for the Prunus virginiana (Choke Cherry)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:34:36 am »
If you have the wrong type of cherry bark it won't work. A lot of work goes into cherry bark backing so be sure you have the right one.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 04:10:11 am »
For backing, I've always used what's called here in Michigan as Pin Cherry (differant from Black cherry). Usually small diameter and the Lenticils (sp) are visable running horizontally around tree. I cut the bark off In 2" strips, then press under some weight to help flatten while drying. After applying to the bow, You them scrape or lightly sand the bark to reveal the shiney beautiful red color underneath. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:53:24 am »
Thanks for the tips guys.
 I think what I have in my fence row is the making of a campfire, not a bow. I might be able to get a stave out of the biggest tree, but there are better woods to put the work into for bows or backing.