Author Topic: Re: Maple stave-Now it's blown!--what have we learned?  (Read 10774 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Maple stave-Now it's blown!--what have we learned?
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:15:37 pm »
I have been working on a mountain maple stave 69"--but I don't really trust the back much.  One limb has 3 bulbous knots on it and the other--well I went and dented the back because I forgot to pad my wrench when removing some twist during the heat treating. The dents aren't horribly and are mostly longitudinal--but it looks like I probably broke the fibers a little.  I am considering three options and wanted your opinions:

1.  Live life on the edge and leave it unbacked and see what happens.
2.  Back with rawhide. If I do that, I think I would have to sand down the knots to get the rawhide to adhere--guaranteeing a violated back under the rawhide.
3.  Back with sinew, working around the knots and leaving them intact.  I do need practice with sinew, but I don't have tons, and this bow seems long for that kind of treatment.  I would think about narrowing and/or shortening it with sinew.

What do the experts think?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:18:35 am by jeffp51 »

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Maple stave--some advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:30:57 pm »
There's a way u can steam the dent out, I'd roll with it, it'll be hard to back those big blobs
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:32:49 pm »
the last picture is after steaming out the dents. They used to be worse. The question is if ground-down blobs/knots will be safe with backing on them.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:54:07 pm »
If u didn't violate em they'll be fine, just tiller accordingly, obviously they're not gonna bend as much as the other wood

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 12:49:49 am »
I wouldn't grind the blobs and expect rawhide to save it, I tried that with a piece of yew that was more checks than yew.  The checks were fine, and rawhide held the violated knots down for about 500 shots, then kerpow.  Could have been my shoddy tillering as well...but I'm blaming the cluster of knots I totally violated

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 01:11:19 am »
At 69" i would leave it be.  If it were 59" I would ask where the dents were, exactly, and maybe consider at least backing that section.  Those knots are good character.  You can't cut them off and back it.  The dents don't really cut across the fibers of the back. 
I'm not saying there is not a better way to deal with it but I would leave it, especially if it were the woods I generally work with.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 11:44:23 am »
What Steve B said. +1.  Josh

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:52:56 pm »
I still have the one you traded me Jeff. I may just get busy on it!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 02:17:37 pm »
Okay, Option 2 is probably out.  That leaves living on the edge or sinew.  I already blew up a kids bow from this same log.  I would like to avoid that  if I can and if I can maintain the character, all the better.

Joe I would live to see what you can do with that stave I traded you for.  I think it will make a bow, but it isn't the easiest wood to work.  Enjoy the challenge

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 04:03:15 pm »
You can't salvage every stave or stick Jeff, but you can save your sinew for a more deserving one.  Just my .02.  Josh

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 04:08:06 pm »
If you sinew back it you shouldnt have problems if you violate the knots, I do it all the time, but only if it will be sinewed, dont try with rawhide.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 08:00:44 pm »
Sobering is a long process, I agree with gun doc and save it for a better stick.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 11:14:52 pm »
thanks for the advice.  I have to keep telling myself--It's just a piece of wood.  It is from the first log I cut, split, and seasoned myself, though, so I would really like it to work.  Looks like I will be living on the edge, and if it works, it will look pretty cool  If it doesn't---I just hope I don't loose an eye. ;)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 11:19:24 pm »
Safety glasses. Wounds heal. Just don't ruin and important parts
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 04:25:25 pm »
  Go for it as is.  Half the elm I cut looks like that.  Just don't expect too much of the stave.  Maybe aim for a lower weight.  69" is a good bit to work with.  The dents should be fine, unless you can actually see where the vise made like a tiny stairstep into the wood.

Looks l;ike a nightmare to sinew.  Tiller carefully.  You can do it.