Author Topic: need a good arrowsmith  (Read 2535 times)

Offline sleek

need a good arrowsmith
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:13 am »
I am making a bow on a trade. I need arrows to go with it that are well crafted and match the bow. I have osage for trade. You tell me what you want in a stave and I will see if I have it. My staves are 6 years old. Tell me what a stave will get me in quantity. We are looking at ( not sure exactly yet ) 40#@28. I need field points installed. Looking at maybe a lighter arrow, 7ish grains per pound.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TimBo

Re: need a good arrowsmith
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:02:59 pm »
That sounds kind of fun.  I will PM you for more details to see if it is something I could help with.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 03:24:36 pm »
Hey Sleek,

Your mailbox is full, so I thought I would post these here.  First is a hand planed hickory shaft, a bit of homemade walnut stain, turkey feathers I trimmed with scissors, sinew wrap, self nocks, and a homemade trade point from a bandsaw blade and brass tubing behind the point.  The second one is POC, shellac finish, yucky plastic nock, with serving wrap around the front of the feathers.  Next is Douglas fir, aniline dye, with a hickory nock reinforcement (I left a bit proud for a cock feather indicator).  If you want, I can post an example of cresting on an alooooominum arrow (sorry - haven't used those in years, but I haven't done cresting in years either) with the end dipped in lovely fluorescent yellow.  Mmmmm. 

Tim

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:29:12 pm »
Thanks for the pics. Sorry for the late reply. I wasnt ignoring you, I do contact work on the weekends.  Those arrows look pretty good to me. I do wonder through,  how do they feel when shot off the hand? Specifically the tips of the feathers as far as scratching your hand and how the wrap over the feather quill, does it pass well without hurting? My own arrows draw blood sometimes and I hate that when its my own lol.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:33:07 pm »
I should add also that I dont have a preference on shafting material usage so long as its natural and you can get the arrows matched in weight and spine within reason. Feathers of course turkey please. I would like to see your cresting if thats ok please.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:09:17 pm »
Sleek, I'm the guy in Florida waiting for HHB staves,I also do lots of cane arrows, a half dozen finished cane, wild turkey fletch, with field points installed, are worth a good osage stave, interested, send me an email or PM.
Johnny
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 09:26:24 pm »
I got your money order friday. I went to the post office today and realized its a freakin holiday. Should ship tomorrow. I think I have a deal with Tim on the arrows for this trade. Keep you in mind for future arrows though. I hate making them.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 10:46:48 pm »
Here is the gaudy cresting.    I guess I never wrapped the Douglas fir arrows for some reason, but the wrapping does generally work well for me.  I would do it more thoroughly if making arrows for someone else (like most of the finish work on these!).  If there is a different way you would like them wrapped, please let me know.  Let me know when the bow is getting close to done so we can figure out spine and other details.  Thanks!

Tim

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 11:37:58 pm »
Is that hand painted cresting or a plastic shrink tubing?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:58:27 am »
It's hand painted.