Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

1st attempt.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Parnell:
I made an attempt to bend my laths today.  No luck.  I couldn't get the water boiling in the only container I have that is big enough to hold the partially submerged enough...
I think I'm going to have to weld together something out of steel that is closer to the dimensions of these wood strips to get them boiling enough.

I read to keep them uniform during the boil, but can't they be reduced...some?

How thick could I keep these during the bend.

Also, I picked up some full length strips of bison sinew.  Any thoughts on how well this stuff would do for sinew backing.  The fibers will be really long.

duke3192:
Parnell, did you get those at the Silver Springs knap in, maybe you should just send them to me.

mullet:
Steve, have you tried a big Turkey cooker pot and propane burner? I have some big ones if you don't.

Parnell:
Duke - I did find those bison strips at Silver River.  Couldn't pass 'em up as I don't think I'll soon again get the opportunity to find something like that.

I was using a turkey roasting pan Eddie.  But, on my stove top.  It just couldn't generate enough heat to bring it to a boil.  And, the pan was my mom-in-laws and she is picky over it so I didn't want to put it to the flame.  So I built me a steel box that'll fit the lath strips really well with a little extra room in case I get a bug enough to do a longer design like a Persian or something down the road.

It turned out well - wish I could say I tig weld the whole thing but I didn't.  I did tack it together though and the instructor did the seams to make sure it held water properly.  Came out REAL nice.  Onwards and upwards, I'll try again this weekend, hopefully.

I'm off next week for break and we are going camping up at the Suwanee.

DC:
Stainless? I want one :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version