Author Topic: Winged Elm  (Read 7160 times)

Offline Parnell

Winged Elm
« on: February 02, 2015, 03:16:49 pm »
I've got my first Elm stave finally going and I really love this wood, so far.  It is definitely tough stuff and the stave has some whoop-dee-doos but putting in my recurves went beautifully.  I built two new forms like in this photo but I hardly had to put much pressure on the bends and the wood just "noodled" into it without any splinters or even stress fractures.  Really impressed with it.
I'll keep this thread going with the progress on the bow.  I hope it shapes up nicely.
1’—>1’

Offline Woody Knot

• Woody Knot Crafts
Re: Winged Elm
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:01:50 pm »
Hi, did you use steam or some other heat source for assisting in the bending?
nice bend
Garry

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:11:51 pm »
Nice hook Parnell
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 04:15:40 pm »
Dang!  That is some really nice looking basil you got there.   ;D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 04:37:33 pm »
Hi, did you use steam or some other heat source for assisting in the bending?
nice bend
Garry

Crisco and a heat gun for the heat.

Thanks, Bub.  The other side went well, also.  Not quite as neat because of the kink in the wood but that being said, I'm super happy with it.  I'll post the progress soon.  Got welding class tonight so maybe tomorrow and it'll be later in the week 'til I can get back to it.
Falcon, we got that picnic table for Christmas and it's pretty nice to sit out there and eat in the evenings and pick the basil while you eat.  Gotta love winter in SW Florida. ;D
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:44:27 pm »
That is going to be sweet Par Par! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 04:56:32 pm »
Nice!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:08:51 pm »
That's the way to make a recurve ;). I'm a fan of big hooks. The smoothness of draw is unequalled

How wide did you make the working limbs,and how much length of working limb do you have? Hope ya got enough to take all that stress ;)

Offline Drewster

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:28:22 pm »
Looking good so far........looking forward to the next pics.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:26:45 pm »
That's the way to make a recurve ;). I'm a fan of big hooks. The smoothness of draw is unequalled

How wide did you make the working limbs,and how much length of working limb do you have? Hope ya got enough to take all that stress ;)

This is real similar to an Osage I did last spring, Chris.  70 inches long so there is lots of room.  1.25" currently out of the handle.  Haven't really defined fades yet.  I gave the Osage away as a gift but missed the design...like you said...smooth!
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:18 pm »
I ain't your boss or anything Steve-o, but at that width Id keep that 68" ntn you have brewing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 07:42:34 am »
Think she'll run too narrow?  That's all I could pull with the stave...we'll see.  What do you think would be ideal for Elm at that length?
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 07:48:37 am »
Its not too narrow IMO if you keep your length. I like 1 5/8" plus for whitewood bows in the 64-66" range.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 08:47:38 am »
Very nice, I like winged elm a lot, it makes a very tough bow, just keep it dry, It is as bad or worse than Hickory in the taking on moisture aspect. :) that should make a beauty.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 08:55:54 am »
Very nice, I like winged elm a lot, it makes a very tough bow, just keep it dry, It is as bad or worse than Hickory in the taking on moisture aspect. :) that should make a beauty.
  Pappy

Very interesting, Pap.  Good thoughts guys, thanks for the feedback.
1’—>1’