Author Topic: Bow string selection  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Bow string selection
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 01:19:35 pm »
I have never had B55 stretch like that. 1.5" seems like a heckovalot.

I do plan on them settling in a bunch, and I make strings just shy of an inch short on purpose.  Then I stretch them on a bow by putting the handle on the floor and leaning some extra weight on the tips.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 02:19:24 pm »
Whenever I make a string I stretch it over night on this jig.  Doesn't matter if its D97, FF, endless loop, or flemish.  They all get stretched until the metal brackets start to bend.  Its more tension than when they are on a bow.  I wax the string heavily and rub it with a leather pad while its on the jig.  When I string a bow for the first time with one it doesn't stretch at all.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 02:42:13 pm »
Could you post a picture of your jig you use to stretch the string?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 05:26:44 pm »
That's it in the picture.  I only make flemish twist strings now.  I'll make a double loop string and put it on the jig pictured above.  Then I'll tighten the nuts on the bolt hooks to stretch it out until the brackets start to bend a little.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 05:39:41 pm »
Do you mean over twisting as you're making the string or when you're adjusting the length?
Either way. Mostly as you are making them though. When I make them I go 3 twists per inch, or less.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 05:39:58 pm »
I have made a recurved osage orange 60 inch unbacked bow and made a flemish twist string (16 strands) using B55.
The string stretches over 2 1/4 inches when I can muscle it on to the blow with enormous effort.
What would you suggest I use with a homemade bow like this as it is 50# at 24 inches.
I notice the typical dacron 16 strand I bought from 3 Rivers stretches 1 1/4 inches and is easier to put on the bow.

Suggestions with reasons please:)

If your string stretches more than 2" and the store bought one only 1 1/2" then it is a given that you are doing something wrong
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 06:49:16 pm »
I use ff for all my strings now.9 strand dose the job for a 60 lb bow, no failures!over twisting a string will lead to a shorter life as it will break down rapidly!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.