Author Topic: ERC Long bow  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Sasquatch

ERC Long bow
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:35 am »
Well, last week there was some talk about ERC.  It inspired me to do my first build along.  So I will be posting pictures that I took over the last week while making this bow.  I will be posting it to the Build along section.  I do have to say that I rushed this a little, cause I wanted to get it posted during while the debate.  It ended up 6 lbs under weight. The twist also threw me off and sanding will also take off a lot. 
The lessons I learned with this wood is back it and then treat it like a typical white wood.  Don't have the preconceived idea that it is going to go BOOM.  If you have that idea in your head you will probably end up under weight.   I wrote this brutal honest truth cause I want us all to learn from each other.   I am not posting this bow to show someone up.  I did it for those out there who have an ERC stave and are scared to even try. 

It is  66" NTN. 
39@27" 
linen fabric back
poly coat
purple heart overlays

Offline Sasquatch

Re: ERC Long bow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:13:32 am »
more

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:14:25 am »
more

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:29 am »
Obviously your not trying to "show up" anybody.  The issue was building an unbacked ERC selfbow.  It's long been established that a good backing on ERC increases your odds of success exponential.  If you were trying to show up someone, you would of attempted it unbacked.  Otherwise it would be like standing in an ankle deep mud puddle as proof of how strong of a swimmer you are.   Very nice bow!  I am a sucker for redheads anyway. Lol!  Josh

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:41:53 am »
Gun Doc, I just wanted to make sure that that was clear ;) that wasn't my motivation for making this.   Its all water under the boat.   This is trunk wood, but we don't need to go there >:D.   

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:44:03 am »
Wowsers - that is gorgeous, with a great bend!  I like the artwork on the back.  Nice work!

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:26 am »
Nice redhead!!! :)

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:02:37 pm »
Blackbawk,  thanks brother, I glad you took the unbacked challenge.  I will be watching yours. I hope it comes out.  I was contemplated doing it unbacked but I simply treated the ERC like I feel it needs to be treated.   

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:14:42 pm »
Gun Doc, I just wanted to make sure that that was clear ;) that wasn't my motivation for making this.   Its all water under the boat.   This is trunk wood, but we don't need to go there >:D.

Don't need to go where?  I said trunk wood stands a chance backed.  It's as a selfbow that I've had no luck with it.  Many other bowyers have made selfbows from trunkwood, so it would be foolish for me to say it can't be done.  My point based on my experiences, is that limbs are better for selfbows and trunkwood stands a better chance if backed.  Once again, very nice bow.   Josh

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:54:42 pm »
Nice now. I have a very nice ERC tree I'm gonna cut for staves as soon as spring gets here.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 02:50:18 pm »
  It just occurred to me, Sasquatch, that your pretty bow, there (and it is) is both thick, and wide.  We know about the compressive elasticity of ERC and junipers, and I wonder if some of the failures (mine and others) are due to simply not having the width.  My instinct is, since it's thick, I'll make it narrow.  Lightbulb!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 04:02:12 pm »
  It just occurred to me, Sasquatch, that your pretty bow, there (and it is) is both thick, and wide.  We know about the compressive elasticity of ERC and junipers, and I wonder if some of the failures (mine and others) are due to simply not having the width.  My instinct is, since it's thick, I'll make it narrow.  Lightbulb!

Thank you for your comment.  I left it 1.5 in wide at the fades, and 1/2in at tips. It just ended up that thick after tillering.  Most bowyers start with a width and length that is suitable for that bow and wood, then tiller to desired draw weight, it ends up ends up at different thicknesses per draw weight.   Or maybe thats just how I do it.  Either way thanks for the comments

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 06:44:13 pm »
Sweet.  Like it a lot.  You been turning them out last few months.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 08:12:42 pm »
Sweet looking bow. 

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »
Nice bow!  I have some juniper that has been sitting in my garage for almost 3 years now.  One of these days I'm going to give it a shot.  Nice work there.  Beautiful bow!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?