Author Topic: In praise of white oak...  (Read 11502 times)

gutpile

Re: In praise of white oak...
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 10:26:04 am »
I have NEVER heard hickory called crappy....gut

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 11:06:17 pm »
Howard that one looks like cupids bow.Pretty cool. How much set did that one take?
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 06:19:57 pm »
It took a little over an inch.  Not a real heavy weight - I think it draws just a shade under forty pounds.  White oak is tension strong as any kind of wood you can think of and if you give it a good toasting of the belly, it makes a good bow.  I have only used white oak staves and have never seen a need to back one.  I got on a white oak kick for a while and thought it was the best bow wood in the world.  After a while though, I saw that, for me anyway, it does seem to take some set, after a lot of shooting.  Our woods are full of osage orange, and it really doesn't get any better than that to me.  I don't have to heat temper it, unless i just want to, it doesn't want to take as much set, it lasts forever, it is pretty much impervious to weather, it is a beautiful yellow color that just gets better with age,  it is tension strong as hell, ...... it , it....  oh, I forgot. This post is about white oak.  My bad. :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi