Author Topic: Sinew backing.  (Read 3711 times)

Offline kid bow

Sinew backing.
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:27:08 am »
Can anyone run me through the best way to sinew back a bow? Ive been wanting to try it but i havnt found a good way.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Sinew backing.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:43:01 am »
Go to the "Build Along's" section and have a read. There are several in there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:12:07 am »
Can anyone run me through the best way to sinew back a bow? Ive been wanting to try it but i havnt found a good way.

You won't  know what a good way is until you try.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:39:03 am »
Great advice above, and if it isn't mentioned, it is messy, and takes a long time, don't rush.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:48:21 am »
Here is the best one in my opinion. PatB is the bearded master! Patrick

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=48916.0
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 12:45:46 pm »
yes pick an approach that has been successful,, then just start practicing, it is not like you get it right the first time,, it takes some trial and error, it is a learned skill,,,you just have to put your time in,,but it is worth it,, and a very nice bow making skill to have,,  i think no one really ever gets it perfect,, something we all work on,B

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 04:21:09 pm »
The first sinew job I ever did was done using my heat and compress method and it came out as if I'd done a 100 practice bows.  You can do it too. Or you can do a 100 practice bows.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43246.msg580831.html#msg580831

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:27:44 pm by PatM »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »
Pat M has the best instructional a have come across.  And the results are incredible.  Can't argue with crazy good results.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=43246.0

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:21:00 pm »
yes Pat I love your method( have studied it alot), even when the sinew is applied perfectly,, there are other aspects of the sinew bow that make it a bit tricky for me,, like how much is on there, how much reflex,, and when to string the bow to not come under weight,(the high reflex can be tricky ) and tillering is a bit more sensitive and how you remove the wood makes the bow react different than a straight wood bow,, at least for me it was more difficult and I did learn from bow to bow,, and am still learning and improving I hope :) then shooting the perfect bow through the chronograph always adds another dimension of consideration for me  :)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 07:43:45 pm »
Pat M has the best instructional a have come across.  And the results are incredible.  Can't argue with crazy good results.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=43246.0

PatM's process is amazing, and the results are fabulous! I do plan on trying that method! Don't need to cover that one with anything. The sinew looks purddy by its self. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!