Author Topic: Following grain of wood?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Balsatech

Following grain of wood?
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:00:31 pm »
I am having a hard time with a particular piece of Osage. Semi-snakey and a few knots. One side of stave has more grain swirl than the other and I'm having a hard time following the grain to get my limb profile. 54" long roughly going to be around 1.5" wide. My final back ring is just under the one I have got showing. Has anyone ever used a light stain to help show how the grain flows?   Joe.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Following grain of wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 11:15:23 pm »
I think Will H and Pappy has used some charcoal dust or something like that to enhance the gain.....they might chime in and tell the real story.....
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:46:45 pm »
DBar, charcoal might be the thing to try first instead of the stain. Not a great piece of wood, but it's one of the only few I have that is dry right now.  I think I can get a nice little bendy handle out of it if can control grain runout.  Thanks Joe.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:07:30 am »
I am very interested Joe. Did you forget to post the pic?

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:55:10 am »
Chief, did not forget to post pics, just don't know how yet. I do need to get someone to show me how, it would probably help. Joe.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:38:28 am »
Hi Joe,

I think there is a minimum entry # before you are able too.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:05:32 am »
Are you having a hard time chasing a ring?

After you do that then you mark out a line following the lateral grain that runs tip to tip. It will go left and right with the snakey grain.

My site ha some info on chasing a ring and bow layout.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/layout.html

Ring chasing.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/osage.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:33:16 am »
I don't think there is a minimum post before you can post pictures. I posted some as soon as I joined. The photos just have to be resized. I believe you can do it on paint or a photo editor. If you are doing it on a phone I downloaded a app that is called picture resizer  works great. Hope this helps.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 11:38:40 am »
There is a sticky on the how to page for posting pics with a phone or you can use the free photobucket, they have a phone app too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »
  If you are still a whole ring above the one you want, dampen the wood with a wet rag, just a swipe.  This wiill raise grain.  Then a quick, even pass with a propane torch will show you what you want to see.  Otherwise use charcoal, rub it in good and then wipe off the excess with a damp cloth.   I think I learned that from Pappy, too.  Or a version of it.

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:26 pm »
Thanks for help guys. I used the charcoal and it helped.Got  it down to final ring other than scraping around some knots and got it to floor tiller today. I'm going to try to figure out this picture thing tomorrow. Again thanks for all the tips I can see them all coming in handy at some time or another. Joe.