Author Topic: to join or why not to join?  (Read 17064 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: to join or why not to join?
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2015, 09:46:32 pm »
A regular old barney fife  :laugh:

You guys are killin me, lol.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2015, 10:09:11 pm »
I happen to think of myself more as a Mr.Limpet ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2015, 11:18:55 pm »
A regular old barney fife  :laugh:
more like Otis Tyke.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2015, 09:33:36 pm »
I guess that makes me Goober down at the gas station.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online sleek

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2015, 11:40:02 pm »
Oh oh oh! Can I be Otis? The town drunk that would always come lock himself up to sober up?

Never mind I see he has been taken...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2015, 01:21:14 am »
I was pretty hesitant about signing up. I'm my own worst critic! If I have something I've made that has a flaw in it, I will fixate on it every time I look at it. Sometimes I figure out how to fix it. Sometimes I figure out how to hide it.
I was asked by several people if I was going to sign up for the bow trade. At first I thought,  you know I'm not as good as some of these other guys. Then I thought what if my tiller ain't as good as some of the other people's. The list kept going on and on. The thing is I could find  a lot of excuses not to sing up. Then I thought, be confident in my abilities and I will always come out on top. So I did the deed! Now I'm excited and can't wait to get started! Though be it a little  nervous!  This will be my first trade bow and first bow I've ever shipped. But I know if I get  into trouble all I have to do is make a  post and ask a question! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2015, 03:48:32 pm »
Wish I could join this year. I have really enjoyed this website and magazine, and like so many others have already said; I really enjoy the spirit of this trade.  To make something that you are very proud of, and to push your own personnel limits, and then just give it away. Not caring what you get in return, just happy to give away something you poured your heart into.  But I have a newborn and zero time to put into something that would take much more than I can give.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:28:13 am by Falcon »

Offline KellyG

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2015, 08:53:38 pm »
Well for me I run another swap, am moving in march, and I need to complete 3 bows before I do the other swap bow. So I am on the fence. I don't want to be that guy.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2015, 07:44:54 am »
I've gone through a lot of changes this last year.  We moved back from Thailand and settled in MN.  Remodeling our house.  I am traveling now a lot and haven't built a bow in the last year.  I decided by signing up I would force myself to make a few bows this year.  I may regret it but I will get this one and the TG one done and hopefully learn more and improve more.  Wish I had a heated garage though.  Rough in the winter here.  Maybe next year I'll get to my grand scheme and connect the garage to the house and put in a heated floor with a shop for me. 

I'm a bit disappointed to not see more of the long timers on for this year.  That was always a cool thing to think I might be getting a bow from the likes of some of you.  But I'll be happy (as I always was) on the other two trades I have been a part of here.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2015, 08:07:05 am »
Well, I feel a little guilty for not being in this year. I was in the last couple of years and drew the names of some of the best bowyers (poor guys), and needless to say my skills had a lot to be desired, at the time. I have improved some, though, and intend to participate in the future, but have to make a few bows for family members, this year. I got 2 made for Christmas for my grand baby girls and now have to make 3 for my boys. I hope to find time next year to get back in. Maybe by then I will be able to turn out a product the recipient will be proud of.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA