Author Topic: Beech Bow  (Read 12774 times)

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
Re: Beech Bow
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 05:11:32 pm »
European beech is closely related, but if I read the data correctly, it is a rather tension-weak wood.
I know the data in the wood database are rather conservative, but they seem conservative in a consistent way, so you can tell relative to a known species how good a wood is as a bow wood.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/american-beech/
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/european-beech/

Using red oak as a reference of medium-quality bow wood (we all have made bows out of it), American beech is a bit better, allowing back fibers to be stretched a bit more (this is given by MOR/MOE; the resulting number is the percentage the back can safely stretch before breaking). It is also about 10% better in compression than red oak (this is given by crushing strength/MOE; so it will take less set for the same design). It has about the same density, and the same stiffness (MOE) as red oak. So overall, in a same design as red oak, it can be drawn further and can therefore store more energy before taking set or breaking. Alternatively, one could make American beech bow limbs a tad thicker, increasing draw weight for the same draw length.
American beech is more on less on par with European ash, which is commonly considered a rather decent European bow wood.

European beech, however, is slightly weaker in tension than red oak (the back wood cannot stretch as far; it is one of the worst European hardwood species in tension), and similar in compression strength. It is about 12% stiffer than red oak (a bow that is 12% narrower than a same design read oak bow will have the same draw weight). So if you want to make European beech bows, make them a bit longer than you would do with red oak.

Now, I bet that where you live there is also plenty of European maple or norway maple. Both are very good bow woods, despite having lower density. I'd make them 20% wider than your typical red oak bow, but you can make them a bit shorter too because of their higher maximum tension and compression load before break/set.

Joachim

Offline raylbird

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 05:50:05 pm »
Like the look of that full draw! I am so glad to see a nice American Beech bow. I have made a few and they were some of my favorite shooting bows.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 08:58:10 pm »
European Beech is not the same and as Joachim says is supposed to be weak in tension.

I've never had a Beech bow develop chrysals so it may be better in compression than White Ash, I've had White Ash chrysal on me many times.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 09:08:36 pm »
Marc, thanks for posting this. I had wondered about beech for years when I was in Maine, but never tried it. I only have 4 or 5 beeches in my woods here in Kentucky.  Two are 12-14 inches in diameter and I have it in mind to have them sawn for lumber some day.

So,  beech is not on my bow list but, again, I am pleased to  read about its use.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 10:07:33 pm »
Nicely done. As always.  I've wondered about beech myself.  One day I'm gonna give it a go.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 12:53:45 am »
Hmm, not that I have much access, but was under the impression Beech was poor bow wood, guess not...great tiller there Marc. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 08:14:15 am »
Nice one, Marc. I had a change to get some american beech a couple of years ago and now wish I had. It would be close to seasoned, by now.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 08:44:57 am »
Very nice bow Marc, Tiller is beautiful. I may give it a try, I have a lot of it on my farm. They say it really thrives on poor ground and I have a lot of them on the bluffs. I know it make great fire wood so wouldn't be a total waste either way. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 09:10:07 am »
Thanks for the explanation Joachim, that clears things up nicely.