Author Topic: Elm backed ERC  (Read 6838 times)

Offline GB

Elm backed ERC
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:08:57 am »
I finished this a few months back; from a mostly heartwood board that I backed with 1/8" slat of elm.  It's still holding together, maybe if only because of the epoxy and the elm backer.  Maybe ERC is one of those odd woods that works better in board form with a backer?  Pretty as it is, I'd take an osage stave over it hands down.  I took some thin pieces of it and gave them the ol' bend test and it does seem pretty elastic.  When they broke, though, it was always into multiple pieces.

I made it longer and wider than my usual bows, 68" long and 1 3/4" wide at the fades.  It still turned out to be my lightest bow at 14 1/2 ounces.  I glued in 3" of reflex and it holds 2 1/4" of it after putting a few hundred arrows through it.  It's about 42#.  It is some pretty wood.  If it does blow up, I'll post pics of the carnage if I survive. ;)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:19:03 am by GB »
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Matthias Wiltschko

• Austria
    • Bow Building Online Classes
Re: Maybe ERC isn't great, but it ain't bad
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:01:23 am »
This is a really beautiful bow with a great design for such light wood. You just gave me hope for my future ERC bows with bamboo backing to survive some 1000 arrows.
Bowyers are not flexible, they are elastic!

www.bowbuildingschool.com
www.bowwood.at

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:28:26 am »
That bow looks great. The profiles are really nice and the wood colours are Very striking!   :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:53:08 am »
Very nice bow,nice work, but keep in mind in that thread we were talking Self bows. I have seen a lot of ERC backed or lam bows that worked out nice and shot very good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:32:48 am »
Beautiful!  There is hope after all ;D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:24:09 am »
Beautiful!  There is hope after all ;D

Cody... I think you would do well with a good piece of ERC. You are the exact opposite of how you approach bow making from pearly. You are the most patient and thorough perfectionist bowyer I've ever met. And I'm not just saying that to say that. Just make sure you back it and make it the appropriate dimension for the intended bows stats.

Glad you posted this Greg...a very timely post in defense to another thread roaming on here right now. :)

Offline GB

Re: Elm backed ERC
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 02:46:00 am »
Thanks for the compliments and comments.  It means a lot to me coming from this group of bowyers.  I didn't mean to stir anything up or make any comparison of my lam bow to an ERC selfbow.  Just had been reading some posts where others had some concerns about trying ERC because of its habit of sometimes going kaboom.  I always felt the same way until I saw Simon's superb boo backed "Purple Haze" and the terrific one that Marc made for the PA magazine awhile back.  A lumber yard near me carried ERC and I found a nice straight board that I could cut a slat from and have it knot free, not even a pin.  I thought a light, tension strong backer like elm would be a good choice for my skills (or lack thereof).

I've admired and have been inspired by so many of the bowyers on here.  I decided to modify my original post 'cuz my intention was just to show what I had done with ERC and that (so far) it had worked out.  Thanks, Pappy, I really didn't know that the lam bows are common and hold up well.  Maybe I'll stop flinching at full draw now  :)  I thought of my original post title as just a clever riff on the other post.  Clever ain't always my strong suit.

Thanks again and good bow making to y'all.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline adams89

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:15 am »
very nice bow, cedar looks beautiful!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 03:07:56 pm »
That is a beautiful bow! Love the elm backing.  Awesome tiller also. All this talk lately about ERC  >:Dmakes me want to do a build along or something. 

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 03:18:01 pm »
I guess it's ok. :)

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 03:29:58 pm »
That is a beautiful bow! Love the elm backing.  Awesome tiller also. All this talk lately about ERC  >:Dmakes me want to do a build along or something.

Do it. Show us what you got.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 03:53:21 pm »
Great bow! That 1/4 sawn ERC belly looks sweet all polished up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 04:48:34 pm »
Pristine looking piece of ERC. Very nice. You should take note there Christopher... so you don't waste more time on more of that crap you were using.  ;D 8)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 08:00:36 pm »
Gorgeous combo! I'm interested in the backing.  What specie and how did you get the backing?  Just from a board?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 08:25:42 pm »
Nice bow there. I gotta think elm would make a great backing