Author Topic: to join or why not to join?  (Read 17069 times)

Offline bubby

Re: to join or why not to join?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 03:05:22 pm »
I just don't have time , I've got four bows to build and working days i don't get as much bow time as i used to
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline half eye

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 04:14:28 pm »
I'm not in because I am allready trading w/ 4-5 folks and building  some presentation bows for the Neshnabek (Potawatomi). I believe that Pat set ya straight though, the whole idea for the trade in the first place was to give the newer guys a challenge to make the best bow they could make, not the best bow on the site.....just the best bow they could make. I've made it a point to trade with newer members and never regretted it one minuet.
rich

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 04:31:10 pm »
I just don't have time , I've got four bows to build and working days i don't get as much bow time as i used to

I'm in the same boat as Bubby.   I've got several bows to build for other people right now and just can't commit to another one. More bows to build than time....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:16 pm »
Having read up on the spirit of it now, I would not be intimidated--but as huisme implies, I think the threshold a new bowyer should hold himself to is a conservative judgment on his ability to deliver a safe bow--or in my own case--any bow at all! 😊. With that said, I will sit out this year--and be all in next year.

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 04:59:03 pm »
Lots of great answers coming in from the "Big Dogs". Thanks for all the input. And Bubby, I still love my board bow more than my Osage one.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 05:02:32 pm »
I would love to get in.  Had a great time on the last trade I was in.  I just simply can't commit myself this year with all the other things I have going on at the moment.  Cant go in to this kind of thing half way and run the risk of letting yourself and other people down if your not completely sure you can give this trade and the people involved the attention it deserves.  I am sure I cannot.  Next year maybe.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 05:03:38 pm »
Robert, perfect summation in my book.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »
Tough decision Chris.  I even thought at one point of getting in and if I had to, sending a bow from among the pile of bows I already have.  Decided that was a half measure at best and somewhat outside of the spirit of this event.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19:33 pm »
I just made me one since I'm still hunting with one I made in 2004, as a back up. And I need to finish one up for Auggie before the Classic. But I'm working 6 days a week for , possibly the next 5 months and averaging 78-80 hours a week.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:58 pm »
With those kind of hours...buy one, and don't tell no one. ;)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 09:51:38 pm »
I only shoot bows I make, no need to trade for one someone else made.

And I am the dead opposite of Eric.  I have meant to make a bow for myself a hundred times over and ended up with that bow in someone elses hands every time. 

And now with the trades I have been in, I have more bows than I could ever become proficient with in a lifetime.  BUT, each and every one of those bows has taught me something I was ignorant of before I received it.  Each one has been handled, strung, hung on the tillering tree, and cross examined like a hostile witness in the hotbox.  And they have all impressed me in one way, if not several ways. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 10:17:41 pm »
I'm kinda like jaydub, of several dozens of bows I've made I only have one of my own, and I only have it because it's a freak experiment in its own right (46"ntn, pull to 25" regularly after it chrysaled at 26").
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 10:24:13 pm »
And I will give up one of the bows I have received in trade just like I will give up vital organs....when I am dead!

But I just realized I do have one shootable bow that I made.  The only reason I still have it is because it is a stupid design and I am waiting for it to blow up.  Of course, it will NEVER blow up because I never shoot it.  Catch-22, eh?

I am thinking of taking dribs and drabs of my time between now and Aug15 to turn out a bow as a backup for the trade. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 10:33:46 pm »
And I will give up one of the bows I have received in trade just like I will give up vital organs....when I am dead!

But I just realized I do have one shootable bow that I made.  The only reason I still have it is because it is a stupid design and I am waiting for it to blow up.  Of course, it will NEVER blow up because I never shoot it.  Catch-22, eh?

I am thinking of taking dribs and drabs of my time between now and Aug15 to turn out a bow as a backup for the trade.

It's simple: send it to me and let me break it >:D

Let me know if you end up doing/finishing that; everybody on the list seems pretty capable but y'know, just in case ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 10:42:01 pm »
With those kind of hours...buy one, and don't tell no one. ;)

Naaaaw, I see another AR in the picture. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?