Author Topic: to join or why not to join?  (Read 17068 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: to join or why not to join?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 01:18:16 pm »
I guess another reason may be that this is really a crap shoot, and shouldn't be. A bow can look great in a photo but still be a dog. HAHA, from my first bow, I would have expected Bubby to tell me to learn the lingo and come back. I was soooooo Green.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JonW

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 01:25:39 pm »
I think some may be intimidated because of different reasons. I personally like the trade but I also don't like the idea of making "custom" bows. Whoever I draw will more than likely get the type of bow I want to make and not a bow designed specifically to their "specs". With that said, I WILL make the best bow I can make and that is all I expect in return.

Jon W.

The only specs anyone asks for are draw weight and length, and a lot of people are fine with a pretty wide range. I guess I asked from something extra, but only that they don't make me a molle ;D

The question was asked and I gave my answer.

I would have a REAL hard time coming up with a long enough piece of wood that I would feel comfortable taking out to a thirty inch draw IF I was even able to draw that far. I can see where a guy early in the game would find that quite intimidating.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 01:34:29 pm »
This will be only the second year I haven't signed up because I really don't have the time and I'm already making 2 other bows for folks.
 When we started doing these bow trades years ago it was to encourage folks to build a better bow, to make yourself do for someone else what you wouldn't do for yourself, to push the envelope. It shouldn't matter whether you are a novice or a seasoned bowyer, built one bows or 100. If you wanted in you were in. It also wasn't about the bow you might get but building the best bow you could for your recipient. Most of the bows I have received over the years were built by novices but I still have them all in my collection, every one and I also did bow trades on Trad Gang.
 When we first started doing the PA bow trade some folks wanted to have a novice class and a seasoned bowyer class but to me that would defeat the purpose why it was originally started. I didn't want to be a part of something like that. I wanted it to encourage new bowyers to really put themselves out and build the best bow they could for their recipient. I hope it continues along those lines.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 01:38:28 pm »
I would have a REAL hard time coming up with a long enough piece of wood that I would feel comfortable taking out to a thirty inch draw IF I was even able to draw that far. I can see where a guy early in the game would find that quite intimidating.

Two guys have given limitations on what they're 100% comfortable with, and it works out because not everyone is looking for more than fifty pounds (actually I think right now the average is around forty pounds), and I think the longest draw anyone's asked for was a range from 27-29".

Not trying to coerce you, you just bring up very good points that have a relevant response ;)

Pat, we've got lots of newer bowyers in the trade. We're only worried about people being able to send safe bows, not so much stunning masterpieces. We do want the new guys to get and give to and from all kinds of bowyers.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 01:41:38 pm »
I agree 100% PatB. I do that quite a bit  ;D

Offline Tyke

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 02:04:32 pm »
Why be intimidated either you get someting you can learn from or have someone tell you how you can improve.plus you can always get great advice with a simple post .
why buy it when you can build it

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
I agree that materials are hard to come by for some people. My take on it is I am expecting to get a gift from someone who has spent a fair amount of time on it. In return I will give a bow to someone, and I will do my best to make the best bow I can. If I get a turd, I get a turd. That is the crap shoot of it. But I could end up with a stellar piece of work. Either way. I make bows anyway. And I hate giving them away anyway, so what do I lose?

Offline Tyke

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:26 pm »
If the bow trade interests you and you have the ability to finish a shooter by august you should join.ive noticed the guys running this trade have tried to go above and beyond trying to accommodate with shipping issues.we should all try as hard as they are . ;)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 02:39:13 pm »
I've done it for the last 3 or 4 years straight and have enjoyed it. No ill feelings here. Lately I've been doing personal trades and find it to be just as if not more rewarding. I will say hats off to anyone who runs it. It never seems to be easy but a whole lot of good comes out of it with just a little bad.

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 02:43:16 pm »
For me it's just about giving something back. I really like seeing all the bows people make and just want to make a real stonker for someone. All I ask is that it gets a chance to go into the woods  ;) I'll try and make it worth the shipping costs  >:D

Offline Tyke

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 02:43:32 pm »
I like it paul.if anyone is to intimidated id glady do a personal trade with anyone on this site.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 02:54:20 pm »
Me too. I'll even take a board bow for a stave bow.  >:D

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 02:58:10 pm »
Mike, if I get a bow from u I will burn my hunting bow, just saying...
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »
Mike, if I get a bow from u I will burn my hunting bow, just saying...
I won't, but I will probably sleep with it.  >:D

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 03:03:20 pm »
Me too. I'll even take a board bow for a stave bow.  >:D

I've made board bows that will outshoot alot of stave bows, when will the bias wane
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹