Author Topic: ERC is great bow wood!  (Read 50335 times)

Offline adb

Re: ERC is great bow wood!
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2015, 03:18:43 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me this post started out as a rant of frustration by an experienced bowyer, brought on by a piece of iffy wood, with a species known for failing in dramatic fashion. It also seems to have turned into something completely different. If I was you Chris, I think I'd be a little chuffed about the comments regarding your ability. I know some guys are kidding, but some aren't. I've had bows blow on the tiller on the first pull. I shook my head in disbelief, and reminded myself that when working with natural material, things like this will happen... not often, but they do happen.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:24:02 pm by adb »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2015, 03:25:22 pm »
Doesn't bother me Adam. Those who know bowyery, know.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2015, 03:30:40 pm »
I think you should just stick to beating your drums:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2015, 03:33:06 pm »
That happens almost every day to Roybert!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »
Atta boy..

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2015, 04:07:14 pm »
Pardon if I missed it but.....Have we seen one pic of a ERC self bow? I sure would like someone to show their daily shooter. Even one that has 1000 shots to it's credit. This is so discouraging.

I posted a link previously to a 120# ERC self warbow.

I saw your post adb. The link did not work for me. I will go back and try to pull it up another way. sure would like to see some. I have lots of the stuff and need the inspiration.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2015, 04:35:43 pm »
I will gladly stir the pot Chris. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me when you look at old bows those bows were made from the best materials in their area. and if all they had in their area was ERC or comparable materials they spent the time to back it. sort of the same reason why you don't see a lot of old character bows. even ancient man knew it was a gamble and it's not a risk worth taking if you have a better choice. if you have access to better materials I'd say use them. So my vote is poor wood :-*

Offline adb

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2015, 04:52:41 pm »
Pardon if I missed it but.....Have we seen one pic of a ERC self bow? I sure would like someone to show their daily shooter. Even one that has 1000 shots to it's credit. This is so discouraging.

I posted a link previously to a 120# ERC self warbow.

I saw your post adb. The link did not work for me. I will go back and try to pull it up another way. sure would like to see some. I have lots of the stuff and need the inspiration.

Just go to the warbow forum and type ERC warbow in the search window. That's how I found it.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2015, 05:24:11 pm »
Reading this diatribe has me thinking the majority of the ERC I have put up and drying is going to get turned into drum frames and cooking spoons instead of bows. <sigh>  Apparently I've been blessed with a bunch of inferior quality wood!   :-[ :( :'(

OneBow

...I'll take that junk off your hands   ::)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:21:55 pm by DavidV »
Springfield, MO

Offline Josh B

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2015, 06:06:01 pm »
I thought this had fizzled out.  Now there's two more pages.  Lol!  Chief, there have been several made by several bowyers on here.  The warbow was/is impressive, but the one that inspires me was made a few yrs ago by a young lad named Tom.  He went by the handle youngbowyer and I don't believe he was any older than 13 or 14.  I don't know where to start to find the pics, but I imagine JW could post a pic or two of it as I'm sure it still holds a place of honor on JW's bow rack.
      I'm pretty sure Eddie(Mullet) has made a few, PatB and Pappy have as well if memory serves me correct.  I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting.  Maybe they'll have some pics for ya.  I have a few pics to hold you until then.  Josh

Offline PatM

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2015, 06:31:23 pm »
From "Rolf in the Woods" by Ernest Thompson Seton
 "From the dry store hole under the rock, he produced a piece of common red cedar. Some use hickory; it is less liable to break and will stand more abuse, but it has not the sharp, clean action of cedar. The latter will send the arrow much farther, and so swiftly does it leave the string that it baffles the eye. But the cedar bow must be cared for like a delicate machine; overstring it, and it breaks; twang it without an arrow, and it sunders the cords; scratch it, and it may splinter; wet it, and it is dead; let it lie on the ground, even, and it is weakened. But guard it and it will serve you as a matchless servant, and as can no other timber in these woods"

Offline Roy

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2015, 09:19:32 pm »
I know girls who have built good erc bows... I'm thinking ole Pearly boy needs some book learnen on how to make bows... :)

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2015, 11:31:31 pm »
All in all a good attempt.  I was digging them overlays too. Personally, being the stubborn guy that I am I'd do the same design over again until I nailed it. Kind of like hammering a square peg thru a circle  8)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2015, 12:19:57 am »
I know girls who have built good erc bows... I'm thinking ole Pearly boy needs some book learnen on how to make bows... :)

Somebody talk Dean into writing a new book, Hunting the ERC Bow
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2015, 02:16:35 am »

educational,entertaining ,and hopefully inspiring ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...