Author Topic: Anyone recognize this wood?  (Read 2992 times)

icu812

Anyone recognize this wood?
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:09 pm »
 This is gonna be a little lengthy but I wanna paint an accurate picture. Does anyone recognize this wood? I found half a dozen of these 5/16 dowel rods at a craft store after sorting through a hundred or so. For 5/16 they are STIFF.

The grain is very hard to read so I applied a light mahogany stain.  You can clearly see a lighter colored line that runs the entire lenght of the shaft on both sides. I haven't spined them yet (recently moved and still getting set up) but they are equal to or stronger than my 11/32 and 23/64 cedars and poplars that spine 55-60.

I'm up to speed on grain, etc, etc and have made some great sets of arrows from carefully selected dowels. Im just a little nervous because 1) I've never turned my own or bought 5/16 wooden arrows. I've only turned 11/32, 23/64, and 3/8 and 2) I cant read the grain on these!

The only thing I can think of is ramin? But I'm doubtful because I have some 3/8 Ramin right next to them that should be much heavier and stiffer for their size if they were the same wood. I snapped a few pictures while rotating the shafts. Any ideas?

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Re: Anyone recognize this wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:02:15 pm »
It looks like hickory to me

icu812

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 05:16:07 pm »
That would explain the stiffness! I turned a half dozen Hickory shafts in 23/64 once and they spined over 100#. I'll go with hickory unless someone else chimes in.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:01 pm »
If they are generic dowels they could be Ramin. I think if they were hickory they would have been labeled as such.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

icu812

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:48:55 pm »
Pat B,

In their dowel selection I could easily recognize the poplar, ramin (at least the larger ones 3/8+), and oak. Then there were these mystery 5/16 dowels. All species and all sizes were labeled "WOODIES" with a bar code and no other information. Weird, I know.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 11:09:34 pm »
Does it say where they are made? Probably in the Philippians or other tropical country. It might be hard to know what wood it is. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

icu812

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:01:33 am »
Yeah. Made in Malaysia

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 10:16:20 pm »
Luan??
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 07:35:15 pm »
Teak ???? It looks like the same wood used to make the wooden dummie at my old kung fu class when i studied wing chun . It was teak wood.
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)