Author Topic: how dos a cherokee syle shoot?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline beartail

how dos a cherokee syle shoot?
« on: January 27, 2015, 12:14:40 am »
I am planning a Cherokee style bow in the near future and was wondering has anyone of yall shot one and how do it do? smooth draw? hand shock,cast ect.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: how dos a cherokee syle shoot?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 12:26:00 am »
Made one very authentic black locust Cherokee bow, then modified it because the tips were just too heavy and shocky for me. It wasn't a lot slower than my other locusts, but until I thinned the ends it was less comfortable.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline beartail

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:17:41 am »
that's what I was thinking would happen.I wonder why they keped them that way? I'm shore they felt it too. I know a heavy arrow would help but weren't a lot of there arrows cane? Did yours bend in the handle or did you keep it stiff there? I'm planning the same shape tip but gonna try 5/8 wide instead of 3/4 and keep the handle area stiff.maby that will help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:37:40 am »
The only time I've had a Cherokee style bow be shocky was if it bent too much near the handle. Other than that they shoot as well as any bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:43:12 am »
Pat give the straight skinny. If the Native bows are left strong in the center and the outter limbs give the draw length thery shoot quick and hard w/o any shock. Full draw should look like a circle with even bend tip to tip, not more in the middle.
rich

Offline Thunder

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:03:08 am »
.They shoot great....the tiller should look something like this...someone correct me if I'm wrong.
64 ntn 55-60# @ 25"
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline beartail

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:13:02 am »
Awesome!That profile pic really helped me remember a lot of stuff I forgot. Am I wrong or is the bow bending in the handle in the pic?

Offline Thunder

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 10:20:14 am »
Yes, the handle is bending some...
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:47:14 am »
Beartail, that is where you have to be careful. Lots of folks want to get the handle bending too soon and end up making it bend too much there. I like to get the rest of each limb bending well and then bring the bend back into the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 11:54:26 am »
what Pat said,,  and     if made well there is not shock  and they have great cast,, made poorly they shoot like any other poorly made bow
if you leave the tips wide,, then reduce mass by making them as thin as you can without bending
since it will be bending in the handle,, it is easy to overbuild the bow,, the design looks simple,, but consideration to draw length and tiller is very important

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:24:24 pm »
I made a long one 71" ntn 50# at 28"
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50359.msg688284.html#msg688284
Shoots pretty much like a 50# ELB, better with a heavier arrow than my normal 5/16" field shooting arrows (eg, same point and fletchings but 11/32" shaft, just smooths it a bit)
Del
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:34:14 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline beartail

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 02:05:38 pm »
that is one sweet lookin bow! this helps me a lot. I have the stave worked down to 62 1/4 ntn. 1 5/16 at the handle to mid limb then taperd to 5/8 nocks. 1 13/16 thick at the handle 9/16 thick at mid limb.the only problem is there is 4" of back set in it. I think that would be to much stress on the back so I think I need to heat some of it out.maby 2" would be safe. I want to get 45-50 pounds @28" from it.do you think  the 4" of backset would be dangerous?

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 02:23:52 pm »
I was gonna say, I don't think they kept them like the hastily built museum replica ;) Mine ended up pretty much like these guys', now it's my go-to for simple shorties.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline beartail

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 02:32:18 pm »
Oh yea.forgot to mention that the wood im using is pecan.