Author Topic: String info  (Read 2916 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
String info
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:34:38 pm »
I am wanting to make a string out of either sinew or hemp cordage. I remember seeing something about a formula for breaking strenght and number of strands.
Does anybody remember that ? ??? ???
Help
Nugget
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: String info
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:01:21 pm »
I've tried the hemp cordage, and wasn't too enamored with it. The sinew will make a better string, but will be more work. The breaking strength of your string should be about 4 times the draw weight of the bow. If you're making a string from several strands, measure one strand and use however many you need to get the total breaking strength you need. Sinew strings are usually made two-ply, though, so you'll have to make a short piece and test it to gauge the final thickness.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: String info
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 09:02:44 pm »
The hemp will probably way too thick. The sinew is artificial sinew on a roll. I made one hemp string and have shot is about 100 times. It is still together buat way to big and bulky feeling in the hand.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!