Author Topic: Does a twisting limb behave like a piece of aluminum angle?  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

Does a twisting limb behave like a piece of aluminum angle?
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:51:51 pm »
I have become pretty confused lately while trying to sort out twisted limbs on a pair of yew billets that I am trying to tease into becoming a bow.
In an effort to clear my mind I looked for an extreme example of limb with a strong & a weak side and came up with a length of aluminum angle. I clamped this in my vise "back down, belly up" and pulled up on the tip simulating drawing the bow. I have attached a basic drawing of how this "limb" moved.
Basically the weaker edge lifted up more than the stronger edge and the whole limb moved laterally in the direction of the weaker edge; ie. the tip moved to the right when the weaker edge was on the right.

If a limb that is straight when unstrung but twists/warps when braced/drawn behaves in the same manner, and I can see no reason to think that it would not, then I think that I have finally got my head around this one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:12:17 am by Red Dwarf »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Does a twisting limb behave like a piece of aluminum angle?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:40:01 pm »
I could not see that doc. I assume we are talking about a twist caused by uneven wood removal-not a natural twist. Anyway the limbs twist towards the weak side. Say the bow is strung. Measure front and back. The side closest to the string is the weak side. Remove wood from the other side. Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:10:10 am »
Jawge

You should be able to view the document by clicking on the document name at the bottom of my first post.

Red Dwarf

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:14:41 am »
I can't view it.  Can you post a picture of your billets? Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:43:32 pm »
I saw your drawing (its a Word document guys) and yes, that is what happens.  The weaker sides bends more and the whole thing "rolls" toward the weak side.  It may be that you have one edge slightly thinner and this is causing your problem.  I've had this happen on a few bows, mostly ones that have pretty wide limbs.  When a limb is wide (like 2") you have to make it pretty thin, and at that point a small difference in thickness form one side to another can cause this rolling effect.  You can usually straighten it up some by reducing the strong side.  But you can also avoid it by using a skinnier/thicker limb and makign the bow long enough that the bend won't mash the belly.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline richpierce

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 01:22:17 pm »
Good explanations.  Generally I am dealing with staves with natural propellor twists and trying to fix that.  I have a locust bow that looks a little twisted and humpy when strung but comes into plane as drawn.  I can't figure out how I accomplished that.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 08:52:38 pm »
OH. If it is a minor twist just leave.  How many degrees? Jawge
Set Happens!

PK

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 01:50:39 am »
I could not see that doc. I assume we are talking about a twist caused by uneven wood removal-not a natural twist. Anyway the limbs twist towards the weak side. Say the bow is strung. Measure front and back. The side closest to the string is the weak side. Remove wood from the other side. Jawge

Do you Have Microsoft word 2003 0r 2007 or not at all?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 05:47:52 pm »
What T.S. is talking about is true....I love my Paddle Bows and Pyramid Bows....but to make such a wide limb from a Stave ...means really thin Limbs....and even a 64th of an inch can be dramatic...look at the pictures I attached ....this was all I had to take off to get this Bow back to looking like a Pyramid Bow....and not a Cessna Prop!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome