Author Topic: Dealing with knots - advice needed  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Julian

Dealing with knots - advice needed
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:27:01 pm »
I've noticed poking around the place that a lot of you drill through knots in the stave.
I'm currently working on a bit of Osage, and i've carefully worked around the knots until now and would love some advice on dealing with them.
Here's the back side of the knot. I've only just roughed out the bow. Those horizontal lines are from what's left of the bark. I think once I chase a ring the stave will clean up a lot. I might have to go a fair bit down though.

And the belly side

Full stave - it's a shorty for my girlfriend. Do you think it'll work for me?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:45:04 pm by Julian »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Dealing with knots - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:11 pm »
Drilling and plugging is a yew wood trick, for the most part. Be OCD careful about avoiding grain violations and celebrate that knot!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:35:46 pm »
Looks like you're dealing with it fine. I only drill dead knots, if it's solid on the back leave it.  If it's dead it isn't in the way because the wood grew around it like a "river". Just dig the knot out and clean it up with needle files. Sometimes the knot is only on the belly so you can plug them with sawdust and superglue.
Springfield, MO

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 12:05:55 am »
Looks like you're dealing with it fine. I only drill dead knots, if it's solid on the back leave it.  If it's dead it isn't in the way because the wood grew around it like a "river". Just dig the knot out and clean it up with needle files. Sometimes the knot is only on the belly so you can plug them with sawdust and superglue.

+1, just take your time with the knots. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!