Author Topic: Linen bow string material  (Read 12622 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Linen bow string material
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:18:24 am »
 I have been making and using linen bowstrings now for around 4 years and had a large supply of what was called 7ply Irish shoe linen...I'm thinking of ordering some and was wondering if anyone has a good source...The spools I have are not marked and cannot for the life of me remember the maker other than it was Irish and quite costly. I would like the highest quality I could find...
                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Linen bow string material
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:40:22 am »
  This was my latest experiment from TBB volume 2, page 231...It's 8 strands but not continuous, actually it is 16 strands and after using hide glue on the extended serving you cut away 8 strands from one side. This allows 8 strands around the nock instead of 4 strands with the continuous string. You have slightly more weight from the longer serving but a stronger loop. I'll take the trade off...
                                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 07:46:34 am »
That's a good looking string Don.  I have about enough left on an ancient spool for one more string  :(.   I don't know of a source just off hand.  Linen strings sure have a good feel.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 07:49:03 am »
  I agree Howard, I like the low stretch, kind of natures fast flight ;)
                                                                                                             Don
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:59:16 am by burchett.donald »

Offline J05H

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:14:29 am »
I don't know about irish linen specifically, but I got a spool from pyrosupplies.com and its really great stuff. I got the imported 8 strand, but its a little thick. Most of my string end up at 4 or 6 ply. I think next time I'll get something thinner.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 08:54:41 am »
JO5H
            I see they have a 7 strand available imported from Hungary...I may try and see if they will mail a sample. I think their based out of Florida but not sure.
                                                                                                                                      Don

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:55 am »
I stopped using the pyro linen years ago.  It just doesn't cut it.  Good enough for low stress bows but once string tension goes up then you have to start making an overly thick string.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:57:56 am »
I got some from john neal books. Lots of size options, and ive made some nice strings from it. I have the pyrosupplies as well, and those strings do end up quite thick.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 11:05:10 am »
bubbles,
                What size thread did you prefer from john neal?                   
                                                                                       Don

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 11:24:58 am »
  I spent some time a couple of years ago searching for the best linen and came to the conclusion they are all buying it through brokers. An onteresting not about linen is that it is rated at double it's actual breaking strength. It turns out I have a broker about 5 blocks from my house. He and I went out to his warehouse and tested all of his linen from different sources. All of it was rated at double the actual strenth. They test the strength based on the amount of strands looped around a dowel. There will be a total of say one strand made into a circle and then wrapped around  2 opposing dowels. This is actually two strands. If tow loops arte tied one on each end leaving one strand running the length it will break at 1/2 the rated strength.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:45 pm »
I think i got the 12/3 which made a decent string. It  was a while ago and i lost the labels on the spools.  I also  got the 35/3, but have yet to use it for a string. It would take a lot of strands.  Badger, I just do the break test and then add the number of strands necessary, rather than trust any company's  strength rating.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 12:10:38 pm »
  I use 8 strands of the 7 strand, mostly flemish twist. If made right the continuous loop or the style the OP makes are stronger. I like the style of string Butch posted and plan to give it a try.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 01:23:06 pm »
  Thanks guys for your responses...
                                                     Bubbles I'm thinking that 35/3 is almost like thread? I seen the different sizes they had listed...How many strands of the 12/3 is it taking you to build a string. I'm not familiar with those diameters...I think the first number is yards to weigh an ounce and the second number is the ply. But still have no idea of size, though I can be flexible with self nocks and sandpaper...

Steve I'm glad you chimed in cause I know you have been taking linen to the max for a long time. I use the same count you do on my strings 8 strands of 7 but I can't find any of that Irish shoe linen anywhere... :'(
                                                                                                 Don

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 02:30:39 pm »
Ill test the strength of what I have when I get home and try to find myold reciept. That should give you and idea of how many Strands you'll need.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 08:39:14 pm »
So, turns out I got the 18/3. I tested a 3 ft section and it was breaking around 13-15lbs (just lifting a bag with weights with a single strand) 16 strands twisted up was around 1/8". Im not sure if that's good or not, but it works! :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:50:32 pm by bubbles »