Author Topic: Getting Close on a Bandsaw  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Comancheria

Re: Getting Close on a Bandsaw
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 09:35:47 pm »
Thank you, Duke.

Hamish: That is encouraging input.  When you were shopping for your Laguna, I guess the smaller 14 twelve was not out yet?  It is about six Ben Franklins cheaper than the SUV, so I would like to think I could live with that for the lumbering function. 

It is interesting--as you know, you can find all kinds of crap on Internet reviews.  On the SUV, I have found a number of negative statements relating to customer service and quality control.  They seem to have got control of the CS of late, but the SUV came under some fire for typical Asian manufacturing SNAFUs such as bolts lying in the crate, loose tensioning rods etc.  Did you experience any of that?  The interesting thing about the newer, lighter weight SUV is that it is only one of two products I have ever researched that had not one negative comment based on actual ownership and experience.

Thanks,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 10:14:37 pm »
Bubby: Thanks.  I found and re-read the previous thread in which you thoroughly laid out the facts on your saw and how you use it.

And Jim, let me say this: when I say I respect your opinion--expressed in a December thread I started--I REALLY mean it!  And I appreciate your advice.  I completely agree that most of the manufacturing we have abandoned in recent years in the US has resulted in stamped out crap from the Pacific rim.  And I would LOVE to become a competent machinest, woodworker, welder, and repairman.  I get addicted so easily to stuff like that.  But my problem (a good one, really) is that I already have too many expensive and time-consuming hobbies--fishing, hunting, reloading, kayaking--and now (Lord help me)--bow-making--you name it--I take it up in a half-fast fashion!  So please do not think my (possible) choice of a newer, non-American saw is anything other than what it is--a need to make choices, cross my fingers, and hope (1) that you and Badger will help me tune it and (2) that the doggoned thing will hold up longer than my increasingly fragile old body will. 😄. Again, my thanks.

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 12:07:00 am »
Russ i use mine to remove bulk, then it's rasps and scrapers for the most part. And yeah it's all freehand
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 01:08:11 pm »
I mostly use mine free hand, but have set up a fence to cut 1/4 inch pieces of purple heart and ebony. You will get good quick free hand!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.