Author Topic: new sinew backed short ash bow  (Read 10892 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Re: new sinew backed short ash bow
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:04:56 pm »
The cracking is more than likely because you used to much glue, Also don't cover your sinew with wood glue because the sinew will continue to cure over time and will stretch over the back of the bow adding tension. The wood glue will constrict this stretch and work against the sinew.
Your hide glue needs to be watery when applied, not thick, you do not need to go back and add more glue later. Also Do not use bottled liquid hide glue, use granulated or home made.
E

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 08:09:29 pm »
I've had the cracking glue before.  You've got it figured.  The TBII won't stretch as far as the sinew glue matrix.  Especially when its cold.  I've also had tbIII do that on a rawhide back when it was cold.   It was a bit of an eyesore but not real damage.  As far as overdrawing it goes, that will show in set.  By the picture, it looks like you're making her work, but not excessively so.  Josh

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 08:09:44 pm »
my next short bow is going to have much less of a pronounced to handle it may still be somewhat stiff in the handle but it will definitely been slightly in the handle and I'm not going to make the tips static that way I get more bending surface areathis is going to be a personal though anyways so if it breaks it will break on me in this backing should keep it from hurting me
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 08:13:02 pm »
cool thank you gun. That makes me feel better and Thank You Indian for the advice I typically only use Knox gelatin for my hide glue and yes it only cracked when I took it out walking around in the freezing cold temperatures in the snow I probably should take a little bit of material off of the top of him so that it bends at least evenly with the bottom limb but it shoots so nice right now :-)
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 02:25:17 am »
I'm gonna have to second everybody on the hinge man, it's in every picture. Try looking at it upside down, trace its profile unbraced, braced, drawn, maybe use a tillering gizmo. You've got some weight to work with, might as well get the limbs bending more evenly right?
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »

Why would you say that? Ash was sinewed quite often by nAtive American bowyers? So was hickory.
  ???
E
Well, maybe we should use the latin wood names :D
Im talking about fraxinus excelsior, the european ash, which is pretty weak at the belly.
I didnt expect the american ashes to be different, im sorry.
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?