Author Topic: new sinew backed short ash bow  (Read 10893 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
new sinew backed short ash bow
« on: January 17, 2015, 09:04:29 pm »
New sinew backed ash short bow . 65#@22"  i love this ugly stick !!;)
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline bubby

Re: new sinew backed short ash bow
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:58:37 pm »
Nice, it always helps to have a pretty lady hold your bow for the pics
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 04:23:48 am »
 Nice looking bow and profiles...Yank her back for us Jesse! Wanna see the bend man...
                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:20:40 am »
Great looking bow.  Yep, show us the full draw.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:41:35 am »
Show us fulldraw and a clear pic of the belly.

In my view, ash and sinew isnt the best combination.
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:42 am »
Nice looking bow.  FULL DRAW PIC PLEASE.   :)

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 07:29:50 pm »
Show us fulldraw and a clear pic of the belly.

In my view, ash and sinew isnt the best combination.

Why would you say that? Ash was sinewed quite often by nAtive American bowyers? So was hickory.
  ???
E

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 07:40:45 pm »
here is the ash at full draw I am not totally happy with the tailor but this bow shoots very accurately and it is done the bottom Lin bends more than the top limb and there was a knot in the middle of the bottom lip I don't want to mess with it anymore because it is shooting perfect it's actually shooting better than any of my other bows
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 07:44:14 pm »
here is another full draw pic because it looks in the other one like there is a bad hinge in the bottom limb but it is an optical illusion because of the mirror frame behind mehowever the bottom limb does bend slightly more than the top limb which pisses me off lol

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 07:45:43 pm »
there was a request to see a close up of the belly so here it is

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 07:46:58 pm »
Belly

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 07:47:16 pm »
Ash and sinew was most definitely a common combo on the northern plains.  I hope that bit of a hinge isn't at the knot you mentioned.  If it is that's gonna be a risk to the bow.  Be sure to check for frets or other signs of damage as you shoot it.  It would be a shame for it to fold up after all the effort of sinewing it.  Josh

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 07:48:16 pm »
Limb tips

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 07:51:52 pm »
Yeah she's hinging on you a bit but I'm sure you leArned a lot when making this bow. Good effort.
E

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 07:57:48 pm »
no that small tiny hinge is just below the knot about 2 inches however something weird is happening with this Bo I used one layer of hide glue on the sinEw and then went over it with tight bond 2 to help weather proof ... the other day I was out in the woods rabbit hunting and I took a few shots and I heard some small crackling noises so I inspected the backside of the bow and I found horizontal cracks in the glue only like 20 of them all the way across the whole entire Bo they don't seem to be cracking anymore it does not seem to be getting any worse and it has not lost any power I think it was just the tight bond cracking I have used Titebond a lot of times before but this is my first short bow and it also has a non binding handle and about 4 inches of static tips so,,, I may be stressing the limbs too much maybe it should only be drawn to like 18 inches even so it would still be about 50 poundsits my first time ever using a sh that's why I backed itI just moved up here to Wisconsin so I am learning all the wood up here Hickory does not grow in this area I am in Green Bay I have some white oak that I just got today and I have a maple log that I got a few days ago and I have one more ash staveand I have been collecting red Osier like crazy for arrows I also have a live oak short bow that I am about halfway done with so if this one breaks I've got some plans in the future for a lot more hopefully I am about to trade some rocks for a juniper stave and then I'm going to back that sucker with some white tail deer tendon and make a rocket launcher but I must say this ash shortbow is definitely a rocket launcher I may just be pulling it back a little too far I don't really know a lot about short bows I do know that my anchor. Is that my left shoulder and I'm very accurate like that like dead center bullseye from 15 yards every single shot with my bamboo and hardwood arrows my river cane arrows are all longer made for my Cherokee d Bow .... so I have not shot any of my river cane arrows out of this ashbo yet I also reflext the tips on the ashbo and the bottom Lim took the reflex in the top Lim did not either way it was a good learning experience if anyone knows why the glue is cracking please let me know :-)