Author Topic: Need an elm bow  (Read 2868 times)

Offline kid bow

Need an elm bow
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:22:54 pm »
Need a bow crafted for me... Uncle sam wont alot time for this because of training and type of lifestyle. I say lifestyle because it is a lifestyle. However I refuse to hunt with modern gear 100% to cold and inanimate for me. Ive got some fake leather scraps and strips as well as an old 12in knife with a makeshift handle. Pm me if you can make this. Elm would be my choice of wood but other good woods ill accept
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline sleek

Re: Need an elm bow
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:08:20 pm »
What branch are you in? And if you dont mind my asking,  what's your job? What are you trying to hunt, what poundage and draw weight are you? Most animals are out of season now, in most states anyway. Where are you stationed?  You should have plenty time between now and next season to fashion yourself a bow, even if you live in baracks. My first bow I sat in the woods on a rock by a stream and made it outdoors while hiking. Id be happy to help you along if you want? Nice choice innbow wood by the way, my favorite :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:14:15 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:25:38 pm »
Haha im in the army national guard. After basic and ait im going active. My job is known as 13f or forward observer. I scout enemy locations and call in artillery and close air support to take out targets. I need a 45-50 pound bow. Ive got a bit of time i dont leave until may or June if I remember right and im in my senior year of highschool so ive got homework out the butt. Lol ill be in training from may or june till next season. Im in kentucky and hopefully i get stationed here. Id apprciate the help...

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 04:00:01 pm »
I do black locust. What kinda blade? I'm not sure I can part with much for just the knife and I don't need leather...

I can do you-finish if you want. When I've got my workshop set up I can do two bows a week so if you need to get anything together it's no problem for me. Pm me for details if black locust is okay with you :)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 04:03:11 pm »
I have a few buddies who are forward observers. Fun job. When do you leave for basic, and whats your draw length?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline kid bow

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 04:06:39 pm »
I think june. Draw length is anywhere from 26"-28"

Offline kid bow

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:43:51 am »
Still looking for someone to make this

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:41:19 pm »
I'd love to make you a bow and I have a clean red elm stave to make it from but I'm short on experience to be perfectly honest. I'll post pics of a bow I made for someone else. In one of the pics, there is a comparison between this bow and my first successful bow, the bow I now shoot because its not good enough to sell or give away but I've grown attached to it. That bow is a cherry-bark backed red oak Medieval-style ELB, 73" tip to tip, 71" nock to nock, and pulls 40 lbs at 29" but I've no full draw pic for that bow. The handle is made from artificial sinew, which I thought was ingenious of me until I learned other people on PA have done it long before me. The bow I made for someone else was the yew D bow, 66" tip to tip, 64" nock to nock, and 45 lbs at his draw length of 27" but he now draws it to his ear because he wants to pull more weight. 

-Aaron

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:48:02 pm by ajbruggink »

Offline kid bow

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 11:52:36 am »
I need one thatll last me a while even after shooting