Author Topic: Machined brass take down sleeve  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Aaron H

Machined brass take down sleeve
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:55:15 am »
I made this threaded brass take down sleeve today at work.  Took me about 4 hours, and that was screwing up the female end and having to remake it.  It measures 1.500" on the OD, 1.125" on the ID, and 5" total length.  I also single pointed 14 pitch threads about .010" deep into the bore for a tooth for the wood to grab onto.  The threads measure 1"-14-RH.  I also machined in a .050" shoulder because I plan to wrap all but the last .300" with leather, and that should make the leather and brass shoulder flush to each other. 

I plan to make a take down sometime in the next year, just thought I would be ready whenever the urge strikes me.  :D

I have to give credit to asharrow because I saw him build one similar to this out of steel.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Machined brass take down sleeve
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 11:09:43 am »
Thats purdy cool!
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
Is the recessed area to allow for a leather covering?
I hope you worked through your lunch break to make up for it ;)  O:)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 04:57:36 pm »
Nice looking work. May I suggest drilling out the male threaded part to reduce weight? I have started doing that with my steel ones.

I wonder  if the epoxy will stick to the brass??? It doesn't really need to though. You can put a small pin or screw through the sleeve into the wood to anchor it if needed. I have had to do that.

If you single-pointed the female  thread you are more ambitious than I am. I use a tap in the lathe after drilling and boring. I do single-point the male thread.

I also wonder if the 1-1/2" diameter is going to feel like quite a handful, especially with the added thickness of the leather.

Anyway, it's great to see someone applying their skills!

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 05:20:46 pm »
Is the recessed area to allow for a leather covering?
I hope you worked through your lunch break to make up for it ;)  O:)
Del
Del, Yes, the recessed area is for the leather to sit flush with the brass. We were pretty slow today, I had to find something to pass the time  ;)
Nice looking work. May I suggest drilling out the male threaded part to reduce weight? I have started doing that with my steel ones.

I wonder  if the epoxy will stick to the brass??? It doesn't really need to though. You can put a small pin or screw through the sleeve into the wood to anchor it if needed. I have had to do that.

If you single-pointed the female  thread you are more ambitious than I am. I use a tap in the lathe after drilling and boring. I do single-point the male thread.

I also wonder if the 1-1/2" diameter is going to feel like quite a handful, especially with the added thickness of the leather.

Anyway, it's great to see someone applying their skills!
Jim- I'm pretty sure the wood will stick to the brass with epoxy, but that is why I turned in some tooth, for reassurance. I thought about drilling out the center, maybe I will do that on my next one.  The 1.500" is the shouldered area, the rest is 1.450", which is where the leather will lay.  I think it feels good in the hand, I will know more whenever I finish the bow.  Maybe I will end up making one different next time.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:35:40 pm by Falcon »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 05:44:01 pm »
I just weighed it, it reads just over 1 lb.    :o

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 02:47:45 pm »
You ever use this in a bow?

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 02:50:14 pm »
Not yet Shane.   One day.... ;) ???

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 02:50:56 pm »
Nice work, kind of touchy on cold days been metal and all.  I may build a fiberglass type handle this summer.  In one past issue of PA magazine there is 2 write ups on takedowns.  You should get that copy..!   ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:57:55 pm »
Bow101- I thought about holding a cold piece of brass in the fall, that is why I cut a recess in most of it and left a shoulder on either end.  I plan on wrapping it with leather, and the brass shoulders should sit flush with the leather.