Author Topic: Got Rocks in Head? EDIT:Shawn Woods  (Read 2371 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Got Rocks in Head? EDIT:Shawn Woods
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:19:39 pm »
Did a trade with the youtuber, got rocks in head Shawn Woods.  He hooked me up with a good bit of obsidian.  I was reading something on abo knapping and it was discussing how natives knapped and they said it was likely different than how we abo knap now.  It suggested that primitive people in North America likely used percussion mostly and pressure flaked very little to just kind of clean things up.  I found that pretty interesting so I tried it.  I figured it would be a lot faster but you run a higher risk of taking off too much material.  Here are my results

percussion up to this point

Finished point

I'm just really digging these awesome flakes!

Note the spider on the point. lol

Anyway, these are probably some of the fastest points I've ever knapped.  Some of that may be due to obsidian being easy to knap but I think some of it is due to using a lot of percussion.  These points were also thinned down pretty easy.  Let me know what y'all think about this.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:06:21 pm by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Got Rocks in Head?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:17:46 pm »
Tim, I coudn't  seem to do any actual thinning with pressure flakes( didn't reach center of points) so I went back to using preccussion to go way thinner than I had before, I also noticed other knappers thinning with percussion at a point that I thought was to thin to use percussion, I got over my fear of breaking an now just keep going thinner and thinner with percussion and have also finally became a better pressure flaker to even thin more but usually use pressure to set up isolated platforms and a little cleanup. Once I learned to take time and set up isolated platforms you can just keep thinning with percussion. Wow clear as mud.  :o ;DBob

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:56:02 pm »
Tim. Nice points. Looks like you have learned some valuable techniques.
Like bob said, prepare your platforms and you will go thinner.
All may not be as easy with rock but it's pretty much the same principal.
Get a little jiggy and try some of JackCrafty's indirect percussion.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 01:10:11 am »
yes,dan is a great guy...and that is some wonderful rock....the knapping you did is outstanding..i hope they do you some good..john

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 08:05:47 am »
yep ol rocks in head is an interesting fella.Looks like he hooked you up with some good material.Your knapping is moving right along,nice points.
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:50:54 am »
nice work Mr Tim! I too have been working on my percussing. Of course I like to pick the toughest pieces in my pile to work on. Come out to Cali and break some rock with me! I got lots of places for you to explore!
Ben

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 11:23:23 pm »
Those are some awesome looking points Tim.