Author Topic: Pictures of trees for bowwood?  (Read 3407 times)

joewaco78

Pictures of trees for bowwood?
« on: January 23, 2008, 07:50:34 pm »
I was curious if anyone has pictures of trees to look for(with names)... Or if anyone knows a good book to identify trees... Especially Yew in Oregon or Vine Maple.. I would love to be able to identify more bowtrees when I get out for my walks, so I can understand better what I am looking for in a tree. What the bark looks like and the leaves... Thanx, Joe

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Pictures of trees for bowwood?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:53:22 pm »
Joe, go to or call your local Dept. of Conservation. They got all kinds of tree ID books for free..and even better ones for sale.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

joewaco78

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:10:47 pm »
Thanks for the heads up! I will drop by them soon as I can!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:09:41 am »
The Audubon Field Guide for trees would be a good tree ID book. There is an eastern and western version. Any good book store should have it or can get it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

joewaco78

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:13:41 am »
Who is that book by Pat? I will call the bookstore right now..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 01:58:03 am »
National Audubon Society. Any good book store will know the Audubon books.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:14:01 pm »
I recently ordered those ($3.00)  Pat and I agree theya re good for leaf identification. I was hoping there might be bark  pics or drawings too but it wasn't in there. In the winter in Ks with no leaves it would be helpful to have some bark to go along with the leaves. I know what osage looks like but its alot of the others I am interested in identifying. I think come spring though and hte leaves are out these little Audobon field guides are gonna do the trick.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »
My Audubon Field Guide has pictures of leaves(summer and in fall color), flowers, fruit, a silhouette of the tree without leaves so you can see the structure and the areas the tree grows. It also has a description of the tree and its  habitats. It cost $12.50 when I bought it years ago so I don't know what they cost now. There are also Audubon Field Guides for mammals, reptiles and amphibians, birds, spiders and insects, wildflowers, mushrooms and probably others. It is a great series of books.    Pat