Author Topic: New guy saying Hello  (Read 15409 times)

Offline alwayslookin

Re: New guy saying Hello
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 03:32:23 pm »
Let me know what you guys think on my tiller. I know it's off I feel like the middle of the right limb is stiff. I finally got it bending more out of the fades but maybe to much
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 03:59:19 pm »
A useful tool is using a program like Microsoft Paint to draw an ellipse that shows where your tiller is heading.  Don't touch the limb out of the right fade and maybe you want to heat it some.  Work the mid-outer right limb and the last third of the left limb until you've got your ellipse.  Go slow...a few scrapes at a time, exercise and check again...
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 05:29:15 pm »
Ya that show how horrible my tiller really is. Should I really take any off of the right limb since it's bending so much farther already? This bow is gonna be way under weight now unfortunately but hey live and learn right

Stringman

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:00 pm »
Don't worry about the weight, just focus on nailing that tiller. You'll make weight on the next bow.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »
Don't worry about the weight, just focus on nailing that tiller. You'll make weight on the next bow.

Spot on advice.  The tiller is first second and third most important.  Remember you may pick up a couple pounds of you "pike" the bow a little.  Get that tiller!
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 07:23:12 pm »
Thanks guys I will work on it tomorrow  not feeling great today.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2015, 11:34:49 pm »
Let me know what yall think

Offline Parnell

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 03:01:48 pm »
Sorry I missed the update.  I sent a response to your mail but am looking again at the image.  Have a look - what do you think?
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 03:11:37 pm »
Better but still off so maybe this is a dumb question so bear with me. To get those outer limbs up in line with the arc I need to take wood off the areas that are below the arc? Is that correct?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 03:23:07 pm »
That is not a stupid question.  It is simply the learning process.  You are seeing it through and that's what matters most. ;)

Consider the idea of what happens when a hinge occurs, the wood is too thin and the curve is too severe.
Your thinking is basically correct.  You would get wood working where it is "below the arc", which would relieve stiffness and bring the other areas up.  Tillering can be a tricky process, even for people who have done it 100 times. 

So what do you think you'll do next?
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »
The other thing I was going to mention is that it looks like you've got that bow on a tillering stick. 
It isn't healthy for the bow to be pulled and left at draw for more than a couple of moments.  You really want to think about a pulley system against a wall.  Rig something up to be able to stand back and watch the bow being exercised as it is drawn.
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 03:59:21 pm »
Ya I was using a tillering stick but I make sure to not keep it that way for long I usually leave it there long enough to take a picture then study the picture. I plan on making a pulley system soon and before i start any other bows. It seems the more I think about tillering the more I confuse myself, but I love a challenge and my Indian blood keeps pushing me on. There is something so cool and inspiring about self bows to me. Question since it is so low under weight and I had planned on cutting it down to maybe bring up the weight would I do that now or finish the tiller I'm on. What do you mean what will I do next? On this bow?

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:23 pm »
Just got your email Steve . So if I worked on those mid limbs to bring them in line with  the arc wouldn't that make it more whip tillered?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 09:11:15 pm »
If you plan on piking the bow don't wait until.  Where are you currently?  # @ "?
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 09:17:50 pm »
The outer 1/3 of the right limb does seem stiff.  The left one seems to have a spot that does bend...go carefully.  Can you post a picture of it unbraced?  It is a little funny.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:21:33 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’