Author Topic: How do you heat treat?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Puckaway

How do you heat treat?
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:46:11 pm »
I've just finished a hickory pyramid syle bow. Tiller seems ok, its taken some string follow though. I've probably shot 50 arrows through it so far. I'm wondering if its too late in the game to heat treat this bow? I don't really know the process. What do you all do to heat treat? I'm just so excited that there doesn't seem to be any chrysals like my last bow. I'll probly use a minwax stain and true oil finnish once I get it shot in.

Offline DC

Re: How do you heat treat?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:08:27 pm »
Here's a start
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Heat+treating+a+bow&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=&gws_rd=ssl

Down about 4 entries there is one called "Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol IV". Click on that and it gives you the chapter on heat treating.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:11:52 pm by DC »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:56:13 pm »
I don't know if it's correct or not but it does have an effect. But the way I do it is to start with the heat gun about 3" away and slowly and constantly move the heat gun along the limb until it is too hot to hold your hand on and so that the back of the bow is hot to the touch. Then I move the gun a little closer and move even slowwr so that it will scorch the wood a little quicker and keep going until it looks dark enoughz then I do the same to match the other. Ends up taking about 45 minutes per limb. Don't know if it's correct or not but it works for me.

Kyle

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:59:18 pm »
Mark has a post in the archives check it out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹