Author Topic: Warming up wood laminate bows?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline HoorayHorace

Warming up wood laminate bows?
« on: January 10, 2015, 05:08:58 pm »
I've heard so many theory's and techniques over the years regarding warming up wooden laminate bows prior to shooting 'em.

Examples such as brace and leave for an hour before shooting, warm bow up with beeswax and cloth, 2 dozen arrows at half draw before going to full draw, or all of the above.

What is the safest way to warm up a lam before shooting?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Warming up wood laminate bows?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 05:11:57 pm »
I generally short draw a bow a few times right after bracing it but other than that I don't know if you really need to warm it up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:46:25 pm »
I do the same as Pat, never had a problem.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 06:06:26 pm »
yep if it's a bow it will bend
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline HoorayHorace

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:11 pm »
No need to "warm the wood up" then?

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 07:25:25 pm »
If you're "rubbing down" your bow, you're just warming the surface of the wood, which does squat. I brace my bow, set it aside and put my quiver on, find my bracer and glove... put them on, and then half draw the bow a few times, and go shoot.

Offline HoorayHorace

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 07:52:15 pm »
So bracing the bow before 1 hour before shooing, or rubbing it with wax cloth is basically just "the wives tale"?  :)

Offline Blob

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 09:13:51 am »
My father and I regularly go rabbit hunting in cold temperatures.  Last weekend it was no warmer than 10°F. We have never had any bow failures due to cold weather.  Our bows are glued up with TBII and TBIII.  His current one is a Hickory backed Bamboo and mine is a Bamboo backed Ipe.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:46 pm »
No need to "warm the wood up" then?

Did these other guys with warming up theories say why they do this?  I mean why is warming up a bow supposed to be necessary?

Modern poly glue, hide glue, and epoxy are very strong, and slightly flexible, and shouldn't have trouble until it gets WAY too cold to be shooting a bow outside.

I'd be more afraid of a bow not having been shot for months drying below 5% MC in super dry, cold air, or of wood shrinking slightly by overdrying and trying to pull up the glue line.  THAT would be pretty obvious visually, and would take a very dry environment and wood that was wet to begin with, maybe.

I think you are fine....glass laminated bows I have shot down to zero F, and some wood lams just above that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:21:00 pm by Springbuck »