Author Topic: bamboo backing thickness  (Read 3790 times)

Offline arachnid

bamboo backing thickness
« on: January 09, 2015, 04:29:39 am »
Hi Guys.

I`ve read that bamboo backing should be kept no more then 1/8" thick.
Well, how critical is that? I don`t have a belt sander so I`m flatning the bamboo by hand,
using a rasp, plane, spokeshave and scrapers. It`s pretty tricky to get it to exactly 1/8" thick
so can I go one to glue up if the bamboo is, say 1/32" or 1/16" thicker then 1/8"?
I`m using an ipe belly, about 1 1/4" wide (mabe a bit wider).

P.S
Whats the best way to flatten bamboo with hand tools? What I use seem to work,
but I`m wondering if there is a better, faster way?

Thanks.

Dor

It just came to my mind that I have a sanding disc attechmet for my hand drill. If I clamp the drill to my bench I can use it as a disc sander.
Any good fo bamboo flatning?

Thanks again

Dor
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:37:27 am by arachnid »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: bamboo backing thickness
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:57:12 am »
A good sharp plane is by far the best way to remove the bulk, it planes beautifully.
Here's how I do it.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/bamboo-backing-build-along.html
Clamp it to a length of 3x2 or similar for planing. It needs a couple of clamps and they grip better if placed just the working side of the nodes. The node being a bit thicker sort of wedge abd grip under the clamp and stop the slat just shooting off as you try and plane it.
I bought a cheap belt sander, it was hopeless until I put a 40grit belt on it. I use it a fair bit now.
Del
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:03:15 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:00:51 am »
It's fairly important to keep your boo thin. I've seen numerous instances where folks didn't and the wood on the belly got thin trying to reach weight. This makes it more likely to overwork the belly surface resulting in compression issues... although this is a little less likely with ipe... it's so tough.

The bulk of the material on the inside of the bamboo can be removed by any of several means... bandsaw, jointer, edge sander, hand held beltsander, hand plane, rasp, or whatever you have. But to reduce it to final thickness, it's hard to beat a toothing plane for this job. I use it on every one of them and wouldn't make a bamboo backed bow without one. It leaves a perfect gluing surface for gap-filling glues like Smooth On, Unibond, etc. It's use is gone over in detail in Dean Torges' DVD "Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow". He even tells you how to make one if you want to save some money. That dvd is a valuable resource for the bowmaker working on such bows.

Using the toothing plane, i lay the bamboo belly side up, clamped just on one end, supported between the nodes with 1/8" thick rubber strips to keep it from pushing down, and go to town with the toothing plane. I make the bamboo 1/8" at the handle area and about 1/16" at the tips. It does an excellent job, is easy, only takes a few minutes. That plane is the best investment I've made out of all of my hand tools. Check them out.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline arachnid

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:35:01 am »
Does the  toothing plane remove enough material?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:52:04 am »
It doesn't remove as much as a regular hand plane, so it's better to use something more aggressive to remove the bulk of the excess material. .. and then use the toothing plane to finish it up... say, removing the last 1/8" or less. With it, you can really finess the piece's thickness down to whatever you want.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline arachnid

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:04:03 am »
Thats basicly what I've done with my scraper.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 10:34:44 am »
A good sharp plane is by far the best way to remove the bulk, it planes beautifully.
Here's how I do it.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/bamboo-backing-build-along.html
Clamp it to a length of 3x2 or similar for planing. It needs a couple of clamps and they grip better if placed just the working side of the nodes. The node being a bit thicker sort of wedge abd grip under the clamp and stop the slat just shooting off as you try and plane it.
I bought a cheap belt sander, it was hopeless until I put a 40grit belt on it. I use it a fair bit now.
Del
Thanks for sharing :)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 01:49:33 pm »
Hi Aj...I have made many boo backed ipe's and experimented with diferent thickness's of bamboo...I have used less than 1/8" and more....I use mm for thickness
so I tried, 2mm, 3mm (1/8") ...4mm and 5mm....obviously the more bamboo you use, the less ipe you need.......there are too many factors invoved to say
what was best.....the wasnt a lot in it to be honest...!!

Dave...hope that helps something
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......