Author Topic: Maple-backed IPE and Osage?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Maple-backed IPE and Osage?
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:49:37 pm »
A trip to the local hardwood store scored a 6' piece of 8/4 hard maple with straight grain edges. 

Have a 1 1/2 x 11/16 piece of IPE that's 6' long that DVS gifted me couple months ago.  And a qtr-sawn Osage board ... 1 3/4 x 1 x 6' ... picked up at MoJam last summer.  Would like to use the IPE or Osage boards to make a target bow in 35-40# and use other as 45-50# hunting bow ... both at 26" draw.

What are thoughts re using the maple as backing for these bows?  Any recommends re dimensions?

Thanks!
Michael
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

blackhawk

Re: Maple-backed IPE and Osage?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:26 pm »
Maple should be fine as a backer for them. I've used maple for the heavy dense tropical woods with good success, and so have some others on this site as well.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:59:30 pm »
After getting blackhawks opinion ya don't need mine but i agree with him maple is a great backer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:53:54 pm »
Thanks, guys.

Seems that common backing thickness is 1/8".  Given that one of the bows will be on the light side ... 35-40# ... is it advisable for that backing's thickness to be less than 1/8"?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:55:42 pm »
I always try and slightly taper my backing. I'll glue the 1/8" on then lightly sand towards the tips.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 06:42:42 pm »
Remember you can always use a much thicker Maple backing with Ipe. You can save mass weight that way. The Ipe only needs to deliver in compression and it doesn't take much thickness to do that.
 I made one with Maple backing about 5/16 thick.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:59:32 am »
My experience with hard  maple is that the grain needs to be very straight and clear for a backing. Some broke and some were fine, all from the same board. These were all narrow longbows 1" or just under in width. I have more faith with hickory or boo, than maple but I think it is less crucial with wider flatbows.  A lot of guys have made good longbows with maple backings, so it could be that my individual board had issues.