Author Topic: Bone points  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Bone points
« on: January 08, 2015, 04:45:38 pm »
Has anyone killed a deer with a bone point? I hope to make some and hunt with them next season because I can't get the hang of knapping and bone points look great!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bone points
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:58 pm »
Lee, a couple of guys on Trad Gang have killed deer with bone points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:03:11 pm »
Can they hold a decent edge?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:04:33 pm »
Apparently at least for one shot. I've never made one so I don't know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online sleek

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:33:20 pm »
I have made them and shot them. Never an animal though not to say I wouldnt. I can get them very very sharp. But by sharp I mean the tip. The edge I can get to the point of a dull razor. It will work, but not as well as steel. And if you hit bone with it, good luck.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 07:12:38 am »
Yeah I wonder how they would stand up to hitting a rib?

Online sleek

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:24:38 am »
Probably slip around it. But not a shoulder.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 05:03:54 pm »
With a primitive bow I'm not confident that a steal point would penetrate a shoulder either

Online sleek

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:20:50 pm »
I have shot large diameter bone dog chews with my bow to see what would happen. They explode. Im confident in steel poi ts on a shoulder.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 08:50:16 pm »
I have shot large diameter bone dog chews with my bow to see what would happen. They explode. Im confident in steel poi ts on a shoulder.

Most of those bones have been cooked and they have become brittle.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online sleek

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 09:41:03 pm »
Well that will make a difference...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 11:16:37 pm »
I shot a deer in the shoulder with a 55# FG recurve, 600gr ash arrow and Grizzly broadhead from 14 yards, broadside and he ran off with my arrow. I only found the back half of the ash arrow broken across the grain and tracked the deer about 1000 yards over 10 hours. He was checking his scrapes 2 weeks later...so a steel broadhead won't necessarily go through a shoulder.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 10:23:51 am »
I have made fishhooks from bone and arrowheads from Antler.  If you are going to make something from bone it needs to be raw bone otherwise it will have grease spots and may be weaker than raw bone.  The only "flat" bone that you can get is a cows leg bone.  They have one bone that is triangle shape in cross section.  You can several flat pieces of bone from one of these.  The bone needs to be cut open at the ends, the marrow taken out and then cleaned and dried.  You can leave the bone out in the sun or bleach it, to get that white look.  If you use cooked bone you will get a gray spotty color.  You will need to find a good butcher to talk to so you can get the correct bone.

Antler is a bit easier to work with since it is already white and you don't have to clean it.  It does take a sharp edge.  The arrowheads that I have made I have not shot into anything for fear that it would pull off when I retrieved the arrow.  I made my antler arrow heads large with a hole drilled for the shaft, instead of flat like a steel head.