Author Topic: Spokeshave or not to spokeshave  (Read 10206 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Spokeshave or not to spokeshave
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:04:45 pm »
I am wondering whether a straight blade spokeshave is worth it or not to have to make bows?
Pros and cons?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spokeshave or not to spokeshave
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »
I've never like a spoke shave for bow building. I'm sure it my ignorance but all I get is chatter. I was able to use one on a few yew bows and ERC bows but not other woods. Give me a good rasp and a good scraper any day.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Utmostcone

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:15:27 pm »
Personally I think that they are great, I always use mine. I comes in handy when doing shaving where a draw knife would take off too much. Make sure its a good one with a sharp blade though ;) I like the antique ones, they look nice and get the job done well, just like our bows :)
Boe a hyn: neled herain, dan caer menig?
Nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:17:45 pm »
  I like a spokeshave on white woods but not osage, yew I occasionaly use a spokeshave as well. Spokeshave is a handy tool but you will find it will not work smoothly on all pieces of wood and grain configurations. I go through stages where I have a love affair with it and then go back to my draw knife.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:18:16 pm »
No use for one myself. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 04:25:14 pm »
They are a pleasure to use (the sound of the wood being curled off is a very nice) but I only use mine on perfectly grained wood-  i.e. seldom.    I've lifted too many splinters on lesser woods.  Rasps, files, scrapers and sandpaper work just as well for me.

c.d.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 04:36:37 pm »
Very good on white woods and Yew.
It's a great step between drawknife and rasp.
DON'T get one with a curved sole....
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:12 pm »
I agree with Del spot on.  Russ

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »
Would it be the best tool for the making the belly perfectly flat?

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 07:10:56 pm »
A spokeshave can be a good tool for making the belly perfectly flat, I'm not sure I'd say it would be the best tool for that.

I personally don't own a spokeshave anymore. Like folks above said, it's great on yew and other conifers but not always on other woods. I finally traded mine away and replaced it with a sharp draw knife and a very light touch.

Offline Sparky Buckwheat

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:05:47 pm »
I have used my spokeshave on oak, yew, maple and ipe.  While i am no expert, I love using the spokeshave on oak and maple, however it chatters and tears out on ipe and on any yew that is not straight grained. I also find a sharp blade and proper tuning critical for most effective use. The spokeshave is a useful tool in my inventory, but it is only one tool.  I have found it is important to find tools that work well with the wood you are using. Harder woods or woods with irregular or interlocking grain seem to tiller better when approached with rasps and files whereas softer or more straight-grained woods seem to tiller well with blades ( spokeshaves, drawknives, planes, etc.). Just my 2 cents.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:39:25 pm »
I've never used one.  I've started tiller one with my farriers rasp( fine side) then scrape.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 10:14:53 pm »
I am a great fan of spokeshaves, especially if I can take the time to tune 'em up.  Many of the Stanley's do not have a flat sole or a flat toolbed.  A little work with a good mill file will fix the sole, but truing the tool bed is tougher.  I finally started using fiberglass bedding compound that you would use in riflestocks in order to get a good flat bed where the blade can clamp tight and true. 

Next, you have to put the blade in the spokeshave BEVEL SIDE DOWN.  While there is room to argue that with draw knives, and both options work fine, a spokeshave must have bevel side down or all you get is chatter!

And lastly, there is no option on sharpness.  Learn to keep to keep it sharp, and hone it every few sessions in the shop for best results. 

My favorite spokeshave is the Veritas from Lee Valley Tools.  Extremely well made, and the rosewood custom handles are dead sexy!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 10:31:46 pm »
I use a cheap spokeshave very often with bows and it's a great tool when used correctly. I may be the only one to say it but I think it works very well on osage. I find that osage works very well with bladed tools.  ;D

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 05:09:25 am »
Hate 'Em. Tried one that was "supposedly" all set up - wasn't impressed. Seen a lot of tear outs on Student staves that were experimenting with them. Give Me My Buck 105 any day. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.