Author Topic: horn overlays  (Read 4891 times)

Offline rkeltner

horn overlays
« on: January 04, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »
 have a short rawhide backed osage that I'm having problems with the horn tip overlays. they keep popping loose, to the point that I've almost given up on them. is there a trick to getting horn to stay put?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: horn overlays
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 03:32:51 pm »
Are your surfaces matched up good?  Are they clean and degreased?  What glue are you using?  Are they flexing?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:15:17 pm »
What glue are you using? I've been using gel super glue and I've found that the quality of the glue matters. I used to use locktite gel and never had a problem when that ran out I used some Gorilla brand superglue and I've been having problems with the overlays popping off. Just yesterday I popped off the tips on a bow with just a little finger pressure. I've learned my lesson. I went out and bought a bottle of quality gel superglue. Osage Outlaws questions are all valid too, just wanted to share my experience.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »
I've had good success with Titebond II for tip overlays.....and I'm very careful to match the surfaces and use a freshly sanded surface when I'm ready to glue them up.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 04:46:21 pm »
Is the glue sticking to the wood or the horn when they pop off?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »
good flat surfaces, I take'em down with 36 grit on my belt sander, and runny loctight superglue, if I want them of I have to break out the heat gun
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:54:43 pm »
One of my recent molles just had jatoba slapped on the back with locktight ultragell, looks great and holds fine.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:00:32 am »
I was using old (12+ yrs) superglue and I had many pop off - wood, horn, hoof, any overlay. I switched to new Go2Glue and it works great.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 03:17:14 pm »
Trying my first overlays tonight. Walnut overlays on a hickory bow, planning on using titebond 3.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:55:48 pm »
Stupid question? Are you gluing them to the rawhide?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 04:22:19 pm »
lots of great advice,, if your glue is good, and you are not glueing to rawhide,, and your surfaces are clean,, sanded degreased ect,,, as stated above you should be fine,,

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 07:31:42 pm »
I have had really good results with two part epoxy.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 11:46:03 pm »
being my first rawhide backing, it is glued partially to the rawhide. I had wondered if that was part of the problem. I've built 15 or 20 bows and this is the first rawhide back and the first horn tip overlays. I have tried hide glue (liquid type), super glue, two part epoxy and t.b.II. looks like I'm going to work the rawhide back from the tips to glue straight to the wood. stupid question? nah. just my ignorance. still learning, and will continue to!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 12:15:50 am »
If you have tried all of those glues and none have worked I would guess your surfaces aren't matching or aren't clean wood.  Make sure you are glueing the overlay on the wood only.

Can you post a picture of your bow tip and overlay?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 10:47:19 am »
Sounds like you got her figured out, that's good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.