Author Topic: Wee Spitfire!!  (Read 3803 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
Wee Spitfire!!
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:43:28 am »
I made a bow this morning somewhat as a joke just to pass the time Its 36" ntn 5/8 at the tips, and the handle is 1 1/5" it pulls 40lbs @ 16"
I gave it to my buddy across the street that was sticking it to me to make him a wee backyard target bow, I thought he would find it cheeky that I made him such a small bow, Until he send an arrow threw the newpaper bow...Its a dangerous weapon this thing. He was extremely happy and I was puzzled at how such a small bow can have such power.
 I must find more of this mystery white wood and make a larger heavy bow from it. I thought at first when I cut this, that It was wallnut however its white through out. It has a bright mustard colour in between the bark and sapwood, stainned my hands. Any ideas what It might be lads. sorry no photos yet. Lost the memory card to my camera.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Dane

Re: Wee Spitfire!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:30:02 pm »
Bootboy, don't torture us! Get some pics when you can.

On the wood, someone else will have to help.

By the way, did you ever use that horsehair on a bow?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:45:43 pm »
you know I placed the order for it, and It says its been bought but nothing seems to have arrived yet
knapp 'um if you got 'um

twig

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 10:00:42 pm »
It sounds like the wood was Mulberry.,a first cousin to Osage and perferred by many indian tribes because of availability. If you look in the Boyers Bible vol III you will see many indian bow were about 40 inches long.  They were pulled only to the elbow and very strong.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:03:22 am »
It might have been walnut-walnut has that yellowish cambium sometimes, and doesn't start having the dark heartwood until it gets some size on it. Did it have a pithy looking center?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 03:50:07 pm »
AAAH Maybe , because there is a tiny dark ring around the the pith. So I did Identify it correctly then Woot! go me!!
Its Terrific wood. Thanks guys
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:50:21 am »
Yep I was right all along, it is walnut.
 And im building another wee spitfire. I'm actualy going to call this one spitfire
knapp 'um if you got 'um